SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spartacus713

Advice about Roses and a Rose Trellis

Spartacus713
9 years ago

I have killed almost everything I have ever tried to grow, so you should all consider yourselves warned.

I have a small backyard with a garden area where some Knockout roses are planted. They came with the house and were planted underneath some tall hibiscus bushes which died during last winter's freezes. So I had the dead hibiscus plants removed, and low and behold, the knockout roses started to grow. I find them unattractive and I also think they are going to eventually be too big for the space they are in. So I want to get rid of them.

I was looking at alternatives online, and I think I may want to stay with roses, probably Don Juan roses. The garden area that the Knockout roses are planted in is about 15 feet wide, three feet deep, with a seven foot tall wooden fence at the back. So, I was thinking about perhaps installing a trellis so that I can have more roses than a bush and so that the plants do not get too bushy for the space they are in (three feet deep garden).

I have an idea for a trellis that I would like to run by you guys. If it is a bad idea, I would really appreciate it if you told me so. I would also appreciate any other advice you have about planting these roses or about the best ideas for an appropriate trellis for this location and what I am trying to do.

Anyway, I was thinking about perhaps assembling a trellis from some 1) Green Metal T-posts and 2) PVC covered chicken wire. Here are some links so you can see the materials for yourself:

1. "Green metal T-posts"
2. "PVC covered chicken wire"

I am concerned that the ground in the garden is very soft (compared to the yard), which is where the posts would go. So, I want to make sure the posts will be sturdy enough in that soft ground. Also, I want to be sure the chicken wire is a good idea.

If I go ahead with this, I was thinking about planting four of the Don Juan rose plants spread out across the 15 foot garden area. Is that a good number? I want roses totally covering the trellis if possible, so if I need more plants to do that, please let me know. Also, is it OK to dig up the old ones and plant the new ones in September or October?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or guidance that any of you might give me.

This post was edited by Spartacus713 on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 13:08

Comments (23)