SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njrookie

12 yards of wood chips

17 years ago

I saw a tree company working in my neighborhood and asked whether I can have their truckload of wood chips. They gladly gave them to me and dumped at my front patio very carefully. It was all hard wood from a few locust trees that a neighbor is taking down, plus branches from trimming.

I had already been hesitating when it comes to asking for free wood chips. Having seen and heard so many incidences in the forum I thought I will ask this time since it is right across the street. The tree guy told me the alternative for them would be to drive 20 miles AND pay $100 per load to a dump site. He aslo said the dump site then will dye the chips black or red and then sold them back to us at $30/yard. The tree company usally has 4-5 truck load a day. How dumb is that dump?

I am so happy with my deal today. I probably need to do some rough screen and process the large pieces with my smaller chipper (10 HP). I also know that in the future if I need more I can simply give them a call to save them money.

So for others in this forum, please do not hesitate to ask. Both parties will be happy.

njrookie

Comments (20)