SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

RRD in rose from Home Depot - none with mail-order nurseries

strawchicago z5
11 years ago

Last year I bought Easy Elegance shrub "Grandma's Blessing" from Home Depot. It didn't do well once planted in the ground. This morning I spot symptoms of Rose Rosette Disease (RRD) on the Home Depot rose: Three branches with red pigmentation, dense thorns, multiple shoots, crinkled leaves... Thank God this plant is by itself near the sidewalk. None of my roses are nearby.

All my mail-ordered roses are clean from nurseries : Burlington, CA - High Country Roses, CO - Roses Unlimited, SC, and Chamblee's, TX. They are far away from the infected rose.

Linda from LongAgoRoses in NC informed me that her roses are band-size, so she ships them according to the law: she dunk them in a bucket, then wrap the roots in paper-towel ... if she shipped them west of the Mississippi River, she put insecticide in the bucket. I would rather get roses small and clean, than large and infected.

A few years ago I got Bonica in a big pot from nearby HomeDepo. I planted it, then moved it soon to a better spot. When I dug it up, there were tons of baby slugs crawling in the hole. I had to destroy the rootball.

Comments (16)