SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sonnybelle

Questions for Mid-Atlantic gardeners & Hartwood Roses

sonnybelle
14 years ago

My husband and I are starting rose beds for the following roses. As part of my planning, I want to make sure that we plan appropriately space wise (I've made that mistake in the past). If you have any of the following roses in this general area, we would really appreciate knowing how tall/big your plants are. The size I indicate by each rose is the average size I've read.

Charles Albanel: Height of 1'-4'. Width of up to 3'.

Polareis: Height of 5'-7'. Width of 6'- 7'.

Hansa: Height of 5' to 7-8'. Width of 4'-7'.

Basyes Blueberry: Height of 4Â-6Â/5'-8'. Width of 5'.

Caldwell Pink: Height of 3'- 4'. Width of 3Â-4Â.

Mutabilis: Height of 4Â-6Â/4'-10'. Width of 3'- 6'.

Carefree Beauty: Height of 4'- 5'. Width of 4'. [FlorenceÂs pic in todayÂs forum only confirms the height, on the 5Â end of it).

Prairie Harvest: Height of 4'- 5'. Width of 3'.

Prairie Sunrise: Height of 30" to 3'. Width of 3'.

Honeysweet: Height of 3'.

Heritage: Height of 4' to 4¼'/ 5Â-7Â. Width of up to 4' .

Lilian Austin: Height of 4' to 4¼'. Width of 4'-5'.

Molineux: Height of 2'.

The Herbalist: Height of up to 3'. Width of up to 3'.

Gruss an Aachen: Height of up to 3'. Width of up to 3'.

Europeana: Height of 2'- 3'.

Madame Isaac Pereire: Height of 6'- 8' 2". Width of 4'- 6'. [She was not doing much where I had her, so I moved her this spring. Took off in her new spot. I had forgotten she was a climber (??) - I see that she is a good candidate for pegging, skill I do not possess (yet)].

Souvenir de la Malmaison: Height of 2'- 6'. Width of up to 6'.

Marjorie Fair: Height of 39" to 5'. Width of 3'.

Verdun: Height of 1' to 16".

Comte de Chambord: Height of 3'- 5'. Width of 2'- 4'.

ShailerÂs Provence: Height of 4'-5'.

Daphne: Height of 2- 3'. [Ours is about that height but puts out laterals about the same size if we let it].

Daybreak: Height of 4'. Width of 3'.

Beauty de Rosemawr: Height of 3' to 47". Width of 2' to 35".

Mableton Rouletii: Around 3'.

St Thomas China: ?

Baby Love: Height of 18" to 4' 11". Width of 2' to 39".

Little Buckaroo: Height of 14" to 16".

Carefree Sunshine: Height of 3'. Width of 4'.

Cuthbert Grant: Height 4.9 feet.

Lady Elsie May: Height of 3'.

Morden Fireglow: Height of 2'-4'. Width of 2'-3'.

We know that we will make at least 3 beds (the rugosas will get their own as do not like to get sprayed with fungicide). Before I start marking my lawn for those beds, I thought I'd come to you for that space issue, which of course can be fixed at a later date, but I am trying to start slightly ahead of the curve, if I can.

Lastly, and I would like to stress that this recommendation has not been solicited but we've purchased several roses from Hartwood Roses. While they came home as babies, those have done quite well to the point that I am ready to put some of them in the ground, when I would typically have waited until next year, after wintering them in the garage. Connie is always ready to answer questions and a trip to her garden is a treat (I've done it three times so far).

At any rate, thank you very much for your help with this daunting task.

Isabelle

Comments (3)