SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
protea_king

My project for arid climate composting

protea_king
13 years ago

I'm intending to build a composting facility comprising three compartments. I'm still in the design stages, but am hoping for some opinions and insight into whether I'm on the right track so please feel free to give me some feedback :)

My design so far is as follows:

A concrete base to be laid on which the walls of each compartment will be built. I've been debating the pro's and cons of a solid impermeable base with my father. He reckons the solid base will A) stop the moisture within the pile from draining away too fast B) make it easier to extract the finished compost. He also believes the concrete base will make the whole structure more stable and enduring. Each compartment will hold one cubic meter. The walls are going to be single brick and unplastered. I was thinking about leaving some small gaps between some of the bricks to facilitate air exchange. Would also cover the piles with large durable plastic tarps to lock in more moisture.

My main concern is how to keep moisture levels sufficiently high, but still allow enough oxygen to penetrate the pile.

The climate here is very dry as we are technically semi-desert and the vegetation consists predominantly of succulent flora. Rainfall is usually very unpredictable, although we often get some in the early summer and then again in the fall/early winter. Droughts are common too.

I've been wanting to make compost here for a while and now that I have my shredder it's all systems go. My current pile, a conventional exposed heap, is located in full sun and gets blasted by hot drying winds all the time. Hardly the most appropriate situation to be composting in given the local conditions :(

Can anyone give me some useful advice?

Comments (13)