SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roseseek

OT - Reblooming daylilies

roseseek
10 years ago

Knowing we all grow other things with our roses, I'm posting this here and in the daylily forum. I need evergreen, heavily repeat flowering, large flowered daylilies for the entry of a home. It's USDA Zone 9b-10a in a weird micro climate which experiences a bit less of the severity of the mid SoCal desert the surrounding areas receive. The soil has excellent drainage, with a good deal of ground water seeping through the hill. It's sufficient for Baby's Tears to grow in direct, full sun about nine months of the year. The other shrubs and ground cover roses flourish without any special treatment. Everything receives the same, all purpose, inorganic fertilizer monthly with regular sprinkler irrigation. There is sun most of the day. And, there are virtually no frost issues. Even when we had the blast with days of 9 degree nights several years ago, this garden only suffered blackening of native sword ferns around the fish pond, which all exploded right back when the weather warmed. Ten feet away, on a lathe covered patio, the large flowered fuchsia didn't miss a beat flowering and experienced no freeze damage. As I said, it is one weird micro climate!

I hope to find a taller, larger flowering, evergreen type with a high rebloom rate. The ones the landscaper planted grow beautifully, but they are deciduous with rather "delicate" foliage. They flower three times a year, but I hope for more durable foliage which will remain green and present over the winter months so there aren't any holes in the beds bordering the front entry. Color isn't as important as flower size, frequency and reliability of bloom and durability and persistence of foliage.

Given that information, what would be your best suggestions for varieties I should consider, please? Thanks! Kim

Comments (12)