SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenerzone4

Bayer Advanced Disease Control--is it safe to use?

gardenerzone4
11 years ago

After spraying Greencure religiously to no avail against blackspot this season, I am considering alternatives. In terms of non-organic sprays, I know that Bayer Advanced Disease Control is the gold standard. But the cautions on the label made me wonder about its safety for use around humans, pets, birds, frogs, etc. I did some research online and found this site from the University of Florida extension that says no reproductive, developmental or chronic effects reported with tebuconazole, and that tebuconazole is considered to not cause any mutagenic or genotoxic effects; however, EPA has classified it as a "possible human carcinogen" because of the liver effects seen with mice. It's also classed as practically nontoic to birds and bees.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pi105

This has made me feel *somewhat* better in case I need to resort to using tebuconazole. But I still want to consult the experts here--how do you feel about its potential effects on the health of your humans, pets, and wild animals? What precautions do you take when spraying it (goggles/mask/suit)? Do you use it on a set schedule as a preventative? Or only when symptoms are noticed?

BTW, I did try to plant disease resistant roses, and will continue to do so, rest assured there's no need to lecture on that point.

Comments (31)