SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seil_gw

Too Great Expectations?

seil zone 6b MI
9 years ago

A bit of a rant coming here so tune out if you don't want to hear it.

Interesting postings this week. This one finally got a good bloom. That one only wants perfect leaves and neatly shaped bushes. Another thinks their roses aren't big enough or blooming enough. They look too pale. The blooms are a little small. Egads! Someone has BS and/or PM! What do I do? And heaven forbid a rose that isn't fragrant enough!

Seems we're all looking for perfect roses...all the time. Is that really a reasonable expectation? Do we expect that from other things in our gardens? If my lilac bush gets PM or doesn't have as much bloom this season as last, do I dig it out and toss it? If my hydrangeas fail to turn blue, even though I gave them acid, should I get rid of them? Something is tunneling in my hollyhock leaves and the irises had only a handful of blooms this season. Off with their heads! Seems I don't expect anything else in my garden to be perfect all the time. So why the roses?

So much talk this season about our roses not growing as well or blooming as much as we THINK they should. Come on people! They're roses, living plants, they have good years and bad ones just like everything else. And just like we do for that matter.

It was a bad winter weather season for most of the country. The cold zones got hammered. The warm zones were totally arid. The roses are doing the best they can under some pretty severe conditions. I think we need to cut them some slack folks.

I'm tickled pink that my existing roses that survived last winter are growing pretty well and blooming! Yes, they're shorter than I normally have and some of the blooms haven't been "Queen" form but so what. They're alive and relatively healthy for all they've been through.

Yep, I have BS and PM out there right now. The weather conditions are perfect for it, hot and humid in the daytime and cool at night. I could have a fit and pick off every leaf and spray myself to death but why? They're all still growing and blooming and so what if the leaves aren't perfect? Yes, you want healthy roses but I don't grow roses for the leafy bushes. I grow them for the beautiful smelly blooms! If I wanted perfect green hedges I'd plant boxwoods. But then again they probably aren't perfect either.

The weather conditions will change shortly anyway, they always do, and the diseases will abate. Most of the insects will have their season and then are gone too. In the meantime I'll be spending my time smelling my roses and enjoying their pretty faces! Even if they're not perfect!

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living