SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbinpa

I'v Had It!-Spraying Pesticides for Rose Midge

bbinpa
16 years ago

I guess I've been spraying pesticides for Rose Midge for 3 or 4 years now. Each time I spray, I hate myself a little more. I now have serious bag worms on my evergreens to the point where I've lost 2 Arborvite and 2 False Cypruss. Web worms completely defoliate my Thornless Honey Locust and of course Spider Mites run rampant. I haven't seen a Lady Bug since spring. The alternative to spraying for midge is equally bleak-no rose blooms! My regime this year included laying 6 or more layers of newspaper in the worst areas of infestation after treating with Bayers GrubEX, then including the pesticide of merit/cyflurthin with each spray routine. I also mulched heavily this spring. None of this has worked to eliminate rose midge. It is now time for drastic measures-shovel pruning the worst offenders!

I know who these are because each week I check for progress by cutting the growing tips of infected plants. This past weekend I shovel pruned Madame Isaac Pereire (a hand full of spring blooms and since not a single growing tip has been uninfected) and Rugelda (1 bloom all season and remaining tips all infected).

Other candidates for the sharp end of the shovel include:

Queen of Denmark-all growing tips since spring infested.

Sombreuil-Most growing tips infested since spring.

Leda, all growing tips since spring infested. This one really hurts because I'm so fond of her.

Felicite Parmentier-good spring bloom, all new growth infested. Painful too because she's a great rose.

Barron Gerod-less spring bloom this year-all new growth infested.

Comte de Chambord-some midge, but covered with spider mites.

2 Danae located in different beds-ditto CdC

Heritage-no spring bloom, sporadic bloom since but heavy midge infection.

Reicht President Von Hindenberg-1 bloom, remaining growth infested.

Therese Bugnet-no repeat bloom.

Jude the Obscure-Had spring bloom that was eaten by deer. Since, only one or two blooms. Remaining tips infested.

Erfurt-Sporadic bloom. Mostly infested with midge.

Conrad F. Meyer-1 bloom. New growth infested with midge or some type of boarer that discolors pith way down cane. Have seen this on Leda as well.

Here is the interesting thing. MAC, Rugelda, QoD, Leda, & FP are all in the same border separated by various other roses that have only had minor damage or bloom in spite of damage. These include-Ghislaine de Feligonde, Louise Odier, Rose de Rescht, Graham Thomas.

Barron Gerod is in an adjacent bed and sits behind Carefree Delight-who has had minor midge damage but keeps chugging the blooms.

CdC, Presi VH and Danae (one of them) is in the long spruce border that includes Thomas Affleck, Stanwell Perpetual (infested but has bloomed), White Pet, Cornelia, Belinda's Dream, Mrs. RM Finch, Alexander McKinzie (has never been much of a rebloomer) Prairie Princess (infested but blooms) Penelope (minor midge) and Hot Cocoa. Unless noted, there were no instances of midge infestation.

Move down to the corner fence area and Heritage is surrounded by Tuscany Supurb, Wm Lobb, Echo, all except Echo have had sporadic midge infestation.

In the front along my driveway, Jude, Erfurt and CFM are located on either side of the driveway. Lady Hillington (immediately adjacent to Jude) has had no infestation and across the way Ballerina, Lions Rose, Peppermint China have been virtually unaffected by rose midge as have the other 3 China roses in the same bed with Jude.

For what it is worth, I've seen little or no infestation on the Polys or Hybrid Musk (except Danae). Chinas and Teas are relatively clean as well.

I WILL NOT BE REPLACING THESE SPED ROSES WITH MORE ROSES!

Now, of course the question is: If I sp the real offenders, will the midge go away or find new favorites. I'm inclined to think they will find new favorites. What do you think?

Barbara-So sorry this is soooo long.

Comments (46)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH