SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherry_roma

'Gaudy' sub-tropical rose gardening

sherryocala
14 years ago

The reply I started to the following post by Melissa thefarm on my "Where's Waldo, er, LeVesuve?" thread seemed so off topic and apt to be unnoticed that I had to start a new thread since I felt this is a subject that can likely be an obstacle to a newbie sub-tropical rose-gardener.

*** Sherry,

You're right that your gaudy garden looks like Florida, and that's how it should be, since Florida is where you are! I do have lavender and all those other gray-foliaged aromatic plants, because they're adapted here to our summer drought, and so my garden looks Italian. And Italy is where I am. I'm all for diversification of gardens: the plants are easier to grow and when you go to visit another gardener, her place doesn't look just like yours.

My sister, a woman of taste and with excellent design sense, has had plastic pink flamingos in her garden. She lives in Florida, of course. If you want them, go for it.

The bed looks great, by the way.

Melissa

According to Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary, 'gaudy' is even worse than it sounds.

1 : ostentatiously or tastelessly ornamented

2 : marked by extravagance or sometimes tasteless showiness : OUTLANDISH ; also : EXCEPTIONAL
- gaud·i·ly /'go-d&-lE, 'gä-/ adverb

- gaud·i·ness /'go-dE-n&s, 'gä-/ noun

synonyms GAUDY, TAWDRY, GARISH, FLASHY, MERETRICIOUS mean vulgarly or cheaply showy. GAUDY implies a tasteless use of overly bright, often clashing colors or excessive ornamentation . TAWDRY applies to what is at once gaudy and cheap and sleazy . GARISH describes what is distressingly or offensively bright . FLASHY implies an effect of brilliance quickly and easily seen to be shallow or vulgar

Comments (41)