SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
magneato_gw

Choosing a climber... so overwhelmed!

magneato
10 years ago

I am an inexperienced rose gardener, and I need some help choosing a climber. I have narrowed the selection down to a few tall, disease-resistant, shade-tolerant plants, but I absolutely cannot whittle it down further.

I am in zone 7b, Arkansas, so it is hot, hot, hot. A photo of where I want to plant this rose is below. The monkey grass on the end closest to the driveway will be removed and it will be planted below the raised bed, on sidewalk level. I want the rose to be tall enough to go to the top of the carport (I will have one plant on each side). The top of the carport has direct sunlight, but both of the sides near the ground have indirect sun or afternoon shade.

Here's my list of contenders:
New Dawn
Polka
Jaune Desprez
Reve d'Or
Aloha (1949)
Golden Showers
Souvenir de Madame Leonie Viennot

I have become quite taken with the yellow/orange colors of Polka, Jaune Desprez, and Reve d'Or, although I fell in love with climbing roses because of New Dawn. And those incredible blossoms on Souvenir de Mme Leonie Viennot...

Which one or ones would be best for my particular location? Would it look goofy to have different roses on each side of the carport? I had always thought I'd do two of the same, but it's so hard to choose...

Sorry if this is a bit rambling. Thank you so much for your help!

Comments (15)