SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joshtx

Uh oh, more roses appeared on the back porch...

joshtx
10 years ago

I took a trip to Chamblee's again today and walked out with four Duchesse de Brabant, a Charlotte, a Sharifa Asma, and a Souvenir de la Malmaison. The Austins are going to my grandmother (she's a big fan), and I will probably include a Duchesse de Brabant as well. This leaves me to figure out where to put everything else.

But while I am here I would like to take a minute to relay a story about Mr. Chamblee accommodating myself and my friend today. We drove the nearly 2 hour drive out to Tyler to Chamblee's Rose Nursery without checking their hours and day schedule. When we pulled up, the nursery was closed. I did not have the foresight to check the website before we left, and if I had I would have seen that they close on the weekends during the hottest part of the summer.

We couldn't believe that we did not check before setting out on our little trek to East Texas. But as we were walking and trying to figure out what to do in the greenhouse just off to the right, Mr. Chamblee himself pulled into the nursery and asked if he could be of help. It turns out that he was just stopping by to water some cuttings they had rooted and were propagating. We explained we had driven a bit to get there, and I offered to pay cash and not worry about the difference in change since we were inconveniencing him. He was happy to assist us, opened the greenhouses, told us to take our time, and was very patient as he helped my friend (who is new to roses) pick out some of her first true roses. We talked about Austins, Teas in the south, Earthkind roses, some of the trial gardens which are prolific in my area, and some of the new varieties he was excited to offer when the new stock arrived for the fall.

He wrote me a paper receipt for the purchase, thanked us for stopping by, and even joked around with us, saying, "See what y'all started now!" when we realized that a few other people had arrived and were shopping in what were supposed to be closed greenhouses (for the record, I felt SO GUILTY that we put him in that situation).

I was a fan of Chamblee's before, as they have great customer service, fair prices, and excellent plants. But after today I will be a life long customer. And I will be sure to check the website hours from here on out!

Josh

Comments (17)