SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anntn6b

Sweltering heat may enhance spread of RRD.(long)

anntn6b
17 years ago

I think those on this group who know me know that I like to have lots of observations before I make statements about Rose Rosette Disease.

This time, IÂm breaking my own rule requiring that I have evidence from several sources before I make statements about observations of the spread of RRD.

But the very hot temperatures that many of us are seeing relatively early in summer have me very worried.

IÂve been worried because of reports of RRD coming from parts of the US where RRD hsnÂt been a major reported problem before.

But when I read Rhonda on the Antique Rose Forum described a situation,"Its so hot here, that late at night, you can still feel intense heat rising from the ground.." that has made me put this in writing.

I I have only my own garden experience as a guide, but this summerÂs heat means it might help some of the rest of us.

I grow between 500 and 600 roses in the ground. IÂve been dealing with RRD infections in my garden for six years. My approach is to quickly rogue out any infected roses as soon as I see the problem when the temps are over 60F- to try to prevent RRD spreading within my gardens.

Most years we loose two or three roses to RRD. Most infections seem to enter the garden in fall; sometimes we see the first symtoms in fall; sometimes we see the problem in spring, when the problem has spread to additional canes.

One or two roses out of 500 isnÂt a terrible loss; we loose more than that to voles.

BUT, one year we lost twelve roses to RRD that came into the garden in fall.

There is only one thing that made that fall different from other hot and dry falls: that was the fall that heat and drought combined to so bake the soil that it stayed hot after dark and radiated heat well into the morning hours.

What I think happened was that heat+drought afftected the upwind R. multiflora infected with RRD to the extent that the mite population was compelled by degradation of their microenvironment to leave. And at least twelve found my roses.

I lost 2%.

Since that year, RRD has increased upwind, but IÂve never again lost 2%, even though thereÂs more RRD ...hideous thought.

So...please take this as a gentle warning to start watching your roses for symptoms of RRD if your soil gets hot and stays hot. You may not see the RRD appear immediately, but...maybe vigilance can save some roses.

Ann

Comments (28)