SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

What is the most unusual plant you grow?

Yes, this may be some sort of ploy to find more unusual things to add to my 'want' list, lol. Not that I really have any room left...

What do you consider the most unusual plant in your garden? It can be unusual because it is either rare/not widely grown or known about, or simply because there is something about it that is unique looking to you that sets it apart from all else you grow. The kind of plants only fellow plant-nuts would likely enthuse over. What are some of the runners-up for your most unusual plant?
Mine would have to be my Ornamental Rhubarb, Rheum palmatum var. tanguticum. Probably not for the "exceptionally rare" category, but I don�t think it overly common either per se. It is easy to displease this guy, which may explain it, LOL. I had it planted in the ground when I got it last spring, but the leaves soon dropped one by one. I planted it in this wine barrel planter and put it behind the shed, where it is shady and stays moist and very cool in hopes of saving it. All that was left of it by the end of last summer was roots, but I planted it anyway and hoped for the best. And lo and behold it came up beautifully this spring!! Even the neighbors thought it neat, and they are not much into plants. Here are a couple pics:

{{gwi:284649}}

{{gwi:284650}}

{{gwi:284651}}

Runners up would be:
Soldanella alpina- not as hard to grow as I imagined
Thalictrum ichangense 'Evening Star'
Anemone nemorosa 'Bractea Pleniflora'- not a show-stopper, but I think it charming and different.
Polygonatum x hybridum 'Striatum' & P. humile (O how I love Poly-gon-atum!!, oh how I love poly-gon-atum! Lol)
Epimedium grandiflorum 'Album'- tiniest of Epi's. Adorbs! ;-)
Salvia argentia- not grown NEARLY enough imo
Geranium renardii

Love to hear (and see if ya' got pics) yours!
CMK

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz