SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Overwintering Phormium z.5 and lower; HELP!!!

arbo_retum
13 years ago

My greatest conundrum right now, which i seem not to be able to satisfactorily solve, is how to successfully overwinter phormium- both in-ground and in pots.

an older mentor, the very wise and amazing sheila magulion of natick MA. puts hers in a cold frame (6' pit actually, w/ steps down to it!) She says the following:

They need cool and light. If i heavily mulch the in-ground ones w/ leaves, say, and then cover them w/ an inverted tree pot, they will survive but their leaves will all die. They will need to be defoliated next spring and will look like hell for a long time thereafter.

The potted ones (large) could be planted in the ground and treated the same or they could be placed in a cool place (no less than 30 degrees in winter) next to a window and watered occasionally. This should see them come through the winter intact. I have no space like this.(btw, i tried my conservatory last yr and they croaked.) I think my 1740 attic (which has open window at either end under the peak, for ventilation)gets much colder than 30. Does anyone have a miracle cure? don't some of us wish we had a buddy with a greenhouse?! oh my.

I have avoided posting this question because i feel hopeless about it but the time is NOW before the phormiums get too cold on the screen porch. if no other solutions arise, i will try them in the attic.

thanks so much for any help,

mindy

Comments (24)