SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
actuary_gw

how shade tolerant are delphiniums?

actuary
14 years ago

I struggle to find something that I like that will grow in a part of my garden that gets dappled shade much of the day. I have lots of trees in my yard and this particular spruce is difficult because of the shade and also the roots. I thought I would try monkshood but could not find it at end of season. Then a little over a month ago I saw these three plants with only flower buds but no blooms at the grocery store which were not labeled except as "perennials". They seemed quite a bargain at $2 each. Now that I see some blooms, it turns out they were not monkshood but appear to be delphiniums (they have spurred flowers.) I guess somebody cut them back earlier in the season so here they are reblooming. Given how little money I spent I should really not care if they fail to make it next year but I am intrigued as to whether delphinium will survive without full sun here. I am on the north shore of lake Ontario. Even a delphinium with widely spaced flowers would be better than nothing. Would it be better for the plants future survival to cut off the flower stalks now that it is October and we have had a number of nights below freezing already? I added lots of amendments to soil and bone meal but not sure if they'll like competing with all those roots. Just wondering if there is any hope for delphinium blossoms next spring or summer in this somewhat shady location?

Here is a link that might be useful: Delphiniums in dappled shade blooming in October

Comments (8)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm