SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ycmahesh

Planning perennial border along driveway..

ycmahesh
16 years ago

I'm about to complete my first year as a gardener... at my new house in central NJ.. For a first timer I thought I did a decent job. I started a bed of Hostas along the fence in the backyard.. I also have planted about 18-20 varieties of Mums along with couple of Rose bushes..They are on their full bloom show at the moment..

One area I wasn't too happy was the way I started the flower bed along either side of the drive way. The flower bed on either side of my drive way is about 2 ft wide.

I combined a number of different perennials(Coreopsis, Lilly, Lupines, Shasta Daisy , Phlox, Obidient plant, Veronica Spindles, Baloon flower, Dahlia bulbs without paying attention to plant height and color combinations. Dahlia plants are occupying large portion of the bed.. They have grown extremely tall and I will be digging up the bulbs to save for the winter. I also want to move all these perennials to the other flower beds I have in front of the house/backyard.. Now I need some advice in planning perennial(s) to plant along the driveway next spring.

One side of the driveway gets complete sunlight and there are two trees on the other side and is quite shady.

Here are features I want for my flower bed..

1)I can't plant any lillies as I have a lot of Squirrels, skunks and Rabbits around my house. So I need to pick plants which are Rodent resistant. I also see Deers occasionally on our streets.

2)I want to plant the perinneals which doesnt grow tall. I'm looking for something which grows max of 10-12 inches.

3)I don't mind planting the same set of plants throughout but would like to see 2-3 colors atleast.

4)I want to pick the perinneals which can start blooming atleast early summer(late spring) till early/late fall.

5)It will be nice to see same plants for both the side so I have similar flower border on either side.

One of the plants I was considering was English Daisy. As per features on Bluestone perinneals they don't grow tall and seem to have long bloom starting spring till fall. It flowers Red,Light rose and white blooms. Looks like this plant is Rodent resistant.Not sure if they can bloom in my shaded side of the bed.

I'll greatly appreciate in any help/advice in picking some more plants so I can choose and decide.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz