SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
athenainwi

What are good dark leafed perennials that are drought tolerant?

athenainwi
15 years ago

I'm reworking and expanding the foundation planting in the front of my house. The back of the bed will be in the rain shadow of the house and I've managed to kill some nice rugosa roses that I tried there. So I'm looking for something more drought tolerant for the back of the bed.

My current plan is to extend the bed outward about 5 feet and have three rows. For the middle row I was going to plant the shrub rose Burgundy Iceberg and the daylily Bela Lugosi. Then I wanted purple heucheras in front of those. There will be a dark pink-red leafed japanese maple on the end. So the theme of the bed is dark reddish-purple either flowers or leaves.

I was thinking of a dark leafed sedum for the back but I couldn't find any that seemed to get very tall. Do you think the sedum Black Jack would work? There's enough room to plant everything far enough apart that something the same height would poke through. I can't have anything too wide as I don't want to extend the bed too far out or the ends will look off if they don't match up with the front step.

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living