SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kvandecar_gw

Reblooming crabapple?

kvandecar
16 years ago

I bought and planted a dwarf crabapple tree (Royal Gem) this past May. It was already about full height (6-7') and very healthy. Despite my attempts at doing all the right things such as planting in good sun and watering, the tree has dropped perhaps 90% of it's leaves to the point of almost looking dead. I've not been able to tell if it was reacting poorly to the transplant, not handling the very hot/dry summer we've had, or something else.

But about a week ago I noticed tiny new leaves starting to form on all branches. They've been growing by the day which is a relief as I now think it will survive after all. The strange part is that when I went to examine the leaves again today, I saw 2 or 3 flowers...with a bunch more on the way. I'm not sure what to think about this, or why it's happening. It's nice to have a crabapple that has decided to flower in August - just hoping that there are no negatives associated with this behavior, such as using up energy for flowers now and not get any in the spring.

Has anyone seen this happen before?

Comment (1)