SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ego45

Az. Corsage or?

ego45
18 years ago

I just 'discovered' the spot where I could grow either large azalea(s) or decent size (up to 8') rhododendron.

In front of that area I have already planted group of Girard's 'Purple' which are supposedly will grow to 4x4' and bloom in mid May.

I DON"T want the back plant to bloom at the same time as Girards, or if the blooming time will overlap it has to be contrast color.

I know my choices could be very broad if I buy from mail-order or fancy nurseries, but I have to chose from what is available right now in large sizes (24-30-36") at reasonable end of the season prices.

They (choices) are:

-azalea Corsage,

-rh. 'Lee's Dark Purple',

-rh. 'Anah Kruschke',

-rh. 'Boursault',

-rh. 'Cunningham White' (is it ever will be 6'?),

-rh. 'Chionoides' (the same question),

-rh. 'English Roseum',

-rh. 'Roseum Elegance'.

What would you suggest?

Comments (2)

• tadeusz5
    18 years ago

George;

Corsage; Beautiful color when in bloom, plant that I have takes winter sun - no problem, numerous branches form when in a open site--- no problems in trimming/pruning ;
    it's a gem. Good grower as new growth about 7 inches per year; easy to root as well. It's also one of the Earliest ones to open in truss. If others are avail;able I would suggest Quakeress -- it's numerous branches have different "sports" thus one plant with white , purple, and about 5 other color combinations. I have 2 of these plants--yes they take a beating in a winter time, but they survive and flower for me, and this years flowering period was the best as the cool spring weather we had kept some azaleas blooming for 4 weeks or more.

try both of them.
    good luck.

• ego45
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Tadeusz, thanks for reply.
    While waiting for answer I already bought 'Corsage' and 'Lee's DP' as I'm still at loss about flowering time.
    I'll not plant either of them now, but rather wait till spring and see how bloom time and colors will coordinate with existing Girard's Purple.
    Is it (Corsage) deciduous for you or evergreen?

On a separate note, after az. gall epidemy we had this year I lost 3 Girard's Rose azaleas ( I had to prune them very hard and whatever left wasn't worth to keep), so I replaced them with supposedly gall resistant az. Amoena (amoenum?, cultivar unknown, probably species as flowers were reddish purple or purplish red). They are very dense and when not in flower could be mistaken for boxwood.
    Do you have to say anything about it?

Sponsored