SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashlie_neevel

Which Artemisia would you recommend for my situation?

Ashlie Neevel
10 years ago

Hey Everyone,

Just looking to get some opinions. My garden is a formal type garden with 1ft high by 1ft thick boxwoods neatly trimmed in a symmetrical octagonal pattern (see illustration). It is my intention to plant red and yellow tuberous begonias within the borders of the boxwoods but I would like the silvery look of dusty miller as a buffer between the boxwoods and begonias. Since dusty miller is not hardy here and must be cultivated by seed (something I am not willing to do) I am considering artemisia as a alternative since its offers the same color I am looking for and its perennial to boot!

The artemisia I have found available to me here is Silver Brocade and Valerie Finnis. Either of these meet the criteria for color and both have foliage i find attractive, but I am unsure as to which would be best suited for this situation.

I am very concerned about these plants choking out my boxwoods and my begonias and running rampant. It is my understanding that the silver brocade ( my preferred foliage) is really quite low to the ground and might be kind of a misfire for the look I am trying to create. The Valerie Finnis is agreeable with me but I am also concerned about height issues. I would ideally like to keep everything around 1 ft high or slight under as the begonias grow 1ft high with equal spread.

My soil is sandy loam and I am in EU Hardiness Zone 8. I get full morning sun and filtered/shady afternoon light. I imagine from the picture I provided you can get the general idea of what it is I am trying to accomplish. I have considered using Lamb's Ear but I really dont find it attractive at all. I am unaware of any other possible alternatives that could be out there.

Do you feel that either of these would be a good fit for what I am trying to accomplish or am I out of my mind LOL.

Thanks for your imput. I am a novice gardener and need all the help I can get.

Ashlie :)

Comments (12)