SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soitgoes_gw

Could anything other than lightning cause this singing?

soitgoes
12 years ago

Is there a chance that something besides lightning could cause singing along a split in a tree branch? Say, if the wind were strong enough, could friction burns cause it? Here is a close-up of the damage:

{{gwi:413455}}

And here is a shot showing how the limb split cleanly; the bottom of the limb also has singing:

{{gwi:413456}}

The reason why I ask is that if this is a lightning strike, this is the second time the tree has been hit. It's a little redbud, only about 15 feet high. While it is located on the top of the bank, it is far from being the tallest tree around. There are many ancient trees right across the street in a nearby park, taller than a two-story house.

{{gwi:413457}}

There are equally large trees not 50 feet away in my neighbor's back yard.

{{gwi:413458}}

We returned from vacation aware that a short but severe thunderstorm had brought microblasts that did a lot of damage and tore apart a dozen or so large old trees in our neighborhood. We were apprehensive when we came home and scouted out our yard, but most of our young plantings were fine with the exception of this tree. The branch in question is only a few inches in diameter and not even the highest point of the tree. I said "Wind got it' and then my husband (who is taller) took a closer look and said "It's got burn marks. I think it got hit by lightning."

Just last year we lost another limb on the same tree. Last year, the split was where the limb met the trunk and there was similar singing and a similar deep split. We thought we'd lose the tree but we watered it like we would a new planting and it seems to have recovered well, and now this. The tree may have to go.

And not, it is not right under the power line. It is a good 20 feet away from the line. The illusion is created by the flattening effect of photography.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (18)