SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diygardener_gw

A pleasant surprise--now how do I encourage my rhodies to bloom?

diygardener
18 years ago

This is my third spring living in our current house. We have two rhododendron foundation plants that look like they've been there a long time. Based on the leaves I'd say they may be "catawba" types. However, we were told that they were "foundation Rhododendrons" and wouldn't bloom. They sure didn't the last two years. But this morning I noticed each of them had two pink blooms! Doesn't seem like there are many more buds, however. I have never paid much attention to these plants because I thought they were just boring backdrops to the perennials planted in front of them (by me, last fall). But now I'd like to help them bloom as much as possible--especially in future years. Like I said, they are foundation plants, both tucked in front of bay windows. There are also azaleas planted nearby which have bloomed every spring. The soil here is pretty acidic and clay. Can't think of anything that I've done differently in terms of caring for them this year. I have given them a bit of acid-plant fertilizer when I've done the azaleas (maybe twice in the last 12 months). And I did extend the bed in front of them and ammend the soil (the soil in FRONT of the rhodies). I'd say about 20% of their leaves get brown around the edges (and sometimes completely brown)by the end of each winter. But each spring (including this one) they get many new, fresh green leaves. In retrospect I think they did have some b uds in previous years, but I assumed they were leaves that were going to unfurl. So perhaps the problem is that the buds die? All advice appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (6)

Sponsored