SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
absentmindedowl

Why aren't my Yaku Prince Rhodies blooming?

AbsentMindedOwl
10 years ago

Dear Fellow Gardeners,
I have a woodland garden in southwestern New Hampshire, zone 5. I planted 8 Yaku Prince Rhododendron along a rock wall that faces northwest, and is under white pine trees last year. This spring, only one has bloomed. The one that bloomed does receive a bit more morning sun than the others. The plants are at the edge of the woodland, right next to a meadow, so they do get both light and shade.
Usually I buy plants from some very fine sources, but there were 8 for $50 at Home Depot, and I bought them late and planted them in late July, I believe. The root balls were solid rocks, I tried to pry them open a bit with a shovel, but it was tough going.
I planted with compost and holly tone. I watered with a sprinkler hose from time to time. We had a good winter, not too cold, but a decent snowfall. Some of the leaves are brown at the tips, which I understand may be due to windburn. The new leaves look fine.
Any suggestions? Should I dig them up and try to try open the roots some more? Should I move them to a sunnier spot? I did dig up one and move it to a new location, which faces southeast. I discovered then that the root ball had not budged in a year.

Comments (3)

Sponsored