SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
perennialgal

growth rate of a swamp azalea?

perennialgal
14 years ago

Hi all,

I'm somewhat new to gardening and finally doing some major landscaping in a long, narrow, and shady "side" yard. This includes getting a few large shrubs, possibly one small tree. Some of the contenders on my list: viburnum, andromeda, japanese lace leaf maple, pee-gee hydrangea shrub.

I was at a nursery yesterday and on the advice of a couple of the nurserymen there, wound up leaving with a swamp azalea. I told them what I was looking for: a shrub/very small tree that will fill in a shady corner where two fences meet at the far length of the side yard, thus a focal point that can be seen in the distance when entering the side yard. I have been thinking of: viburnum, japanese maple, andromeda. The guy selling the azalea to me said that its growth rate is very good, but once home and checking online and the various books I have, as well as remembering what I was told at a different nursery where the advice is stellar, my feeling is that it has a very slow growth rate. Not at all what I want...

I'm still kicking myself that I bought this shrub. I've been hesitating on this decision for a couple of months now, and I think I bought it out of desperation! I'm hoping the nursery will take it back.

Could anyone comment on its growth rate, especially in a shady (morning sun, afternoon shade/dappled shade) location? Thanks! Also, I've been having a very hard time picturing what it will look like. Most everything I find online and in books shows close-ups of the flowers. If anyone can recommend a site that shows the shrub in situ, that would be great. I guess I'll start noticing them myself, just as I've been noticing viburnums and andromedas everywhere...

Sorry for the long message. Thanks for reading and thanks for any advice.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County