SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenniferinfl

Starting rose cuttings in Florida?

jenniferinfl
11 years ago

I'm going to probably go ahead and order leafy cuttings from UC Davis in the next couple weeks. Well at least try to, I don't know if they'll sell to an individual. I've been doing a lot of reading on the topic of starting cuttings and it seems most recommend a misting box. I've never used one before but have started plenty of Cherokee rose cuttings. It seemed like the ones that failed generally just rotted form the ground up rather than dried out. Of course, I didn't know about using rooting hormone back then or peeling back some of the 'bark'. Just cut them off, stuck them in a pot and watered them.

So, my question is, should I invest in a misting box or is such a thing probably unnecessary with Florida's humid summers? I'm toying with the idea of finding out what it takes to get a nursery license around here and sell roses at the local farmer's market. I doubt it would be a particularly profitable venture, but I'd like to help people get a hold of a rose other than a cherokee rose or a knockout rose that may still stand a chance of surviving here. I'd also like to try grafting roses, but that's a future project. The only roses we seem to get on fortuniana around here are Nelson roses, and our local nursery only got 12 and didn't get to pick the types. I know Cool Roses has them, but shipping is the killer there thanks to Fortuniana not really handling bare root.

So, there's my ramblings. Do I need a misting box? I'm thinking of starting with 100 cuttings. What size should it be for that number of cuttings? I'd like to start 100 fortuniana for rootstock later in November if UC Davis will sell to me too.

Any other advice welcomed too.

Comments (7)