SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tvrolyk

Starting seeds early outside with heat

tvrolyk
16 years ago

I don't think this really applies to this forum but the folks over in Growing From Seed told me to post here. I stlll think it applies to that forum but if they won't answer my questions then what can I do.

I want to start some seeds early this year but have no room inside. However I do have one of those mini-greenhouses with several shelves and a clear plastic cover that zips down the front. I was thinking I could put that outside with a space heater on the bottom shelf and seed trays on the top couple shelves.

The space heater has a thermostat and I would set it low enough so that it doesnÂt run all day but enough that it stays above around 50 degrees. My wireless thermometer can accept a second sensor so I thought I would get one for inside the greenhouse to monitor current and min/max temps.

I know this wouldnÂt be ideal conditions. I am thinking of starting cosmos, snapdragons, fox glove and zinnias. Most of those can be started after last frost anyway and even then you can get some cool nights. So I would think my idea could work.

Some other things I would do would be to pile up some mulch around the bottom to keep out drafts and add a zipper to the top to open up when it gets too warm inside.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. Please donÂt sick the seed police after me. I know this isnÂt ideal. I am not trying for ideal, just trying to work with the space and supplies I have.

Thanks

Tony

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!