SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wwwonderwhiskers

Which Magnolia do you recommend?

wwwonderwhiskers
11 years ago

Hello. I heard there were a bunch of folks here who love chatting about Magnolias! Good news. Based on the below, which cultivar of Magnolia grandiflora would you recommend please? Thanks!

We're doing a landscape plan, 3 acres total, about 1.75 is cleared & house. We are zone 7a, but close to 6b on the new map, central mid-atlantic / northern VA area just east of the mountains. There's plenty of space for a monster Magnolia in the side yard on the southeast side of a small grove of poplar & maples - enough to protect from winter winds. Planting location is about halfway down a very gentle slope.

I've seen very tall, lovely Magnolias in the Raleigh NC area that I would love to emulate, but cannot discover which cultivar was planted there. Here's their look & habit as I recall.

Tree structure was as I would describe it as "ballgown". Tall & narrow coneshape, and branches grew out then down, as I recall, not upward branching. Leaves a deep green glossy with some brown underside. Bloom season was not long lived, but worth every minute - the blooms were enormous - 12 inches across when fully open - with that heady, lemony waxy fragrance. Branches grew all the way down to the ground. Ground level was the tree's widest point, and tall shape was a sweeping cone upwards from there. It was evergreen. If you stuck your head into the tree past the initial leaf-cover, I recall the interior being pretty clean - not a lot of interior branching.

Everyone here has Bracken's BB or Little Gem (deinitely off the list). I have not yet seen a BBB that I liked the shape, but maybe the shape is all about pruning? But I think the downward branching may be a significant indicator for identification.

Would enjoy reading your recommendations please. Thanks in advance!

Comments (21)

• wwwonderwhiskers
    Original Author

Thanks so far! Today had a little time, and was amazed at the number of pictures I had with identifiable pieces of the desired Magnolia in them. May I post them for your review? See if any particular cultivar screams at you for ID. Maybe I was a little off in my remembrance of drooping branching habit, but I LOVE this ballgown shape! Is that due to pruning? This tree was HUGE to me, and probably 9 to 11 years old in this series.
    There is Shape in the Landscape overall, some Leaf and Branching habit, and one pic of Bloom Buds. Couple for color too. Thanks for looking!

Closeup shape in the landscape: probably only 7 years old at this time:
    {{gwi:410498}}

Distant shape in the landscape - definitely the look I am going for! Probably 8 years old.
    {{gwi:410500}}

Bloom Buds & leaf color - a 10 year old tree, we figured:
    {{gwi:410502}}

Branching & color - taken of Hawk through the window....{{gwi:410503}}

Deer at the "snack stump", and the Magnolia in the frame too
    {{gwi:410504}}

In the snow - not sure if this is helpful:
    {{gwi:410505}}

Thanks all! I enjoyed reviewing the images myself....

• wwwonderwhiskers
    Original Author

Thanks for all the comments, especially njoasis for your contribution. I'll target either the Victoria, Majestic Beauty, or Edith Brogue. If I had something like your picture, that would be perfect.

I'll share a little deer story. That magnolia pictured above was at a house where we rented in Raleigh. One day I was out at the Mag with pruners, looking for one more of those massive blossoms for the house. I'd slowly walked around the entire skirt of the tree - enjoying, looking, smelling, pondering.... when suddenly - about 3 feet in FRONT of me (under the tree, mind you) came a mad rustling-scurry-dash that half scared me to death, and this teeny TINY little leggy spotted fawn literally flew out from under the tree and into the woods!!! I had walked circles around it for probably 5 minutes at least, only a few feet away. Am sure it's Mama put it on a sit-stay, but it probably couldn't take it anymore that I was so close, and it dashed. A charming moment, but seriously sent my pulse racing! LOL.

• Related Discussions

which michelia do you recommend?

Q

Comments (9)
    For a 'Michelia' you don't have much of a choice between M. x alba, champaca and figo because they are generally the most easy to find of Michelias. The others are more difficult to obtain. Of the three, I believe most people would prefer M. x alba for it's heavenly scent, it has the potential to bloom more often. Does fine in a pot, can bloom indoors in proliferation. Flowers last for several days and are good for picking. But still, it can also be out of blooms for a few months especially if it isn't liking the weather. M. figo flowers fall apart easily, aren't really good for picking. Scent is very nice and noticeable during certain parts of the day only. M. champaca is hard to find blooming size plants and generally doesn't bloom as often as Michelia alba in most cases. Can't comment on the scent as my 6 foot plant that I have potted for almost 2 years already hasn't bloomed yet. The other Michelia species, such as maudiae, doltsopa, yunnanensis (Magnolia dianica) are very difficult to find across most of America and even in mail-order. To get to blooming size might possibly take several years of being planted in the ground and I don't think are hardy in your zone outdoors. There is another former Michelia that is perfect for pot culture inside the home. Loves low light. It blooms even when the plant is small too. That is Michelia pumila (now known, like the other Michelias, as Magnolia coco). Good luck finding that. While flowers last only a day, they are among the most strongly scented. :) Plantogram.com has Michelia alba. As does T0ptropicals. You can also find it on eBay or Amazon.
    ...See More

Which dimmer switch do you recommend?

Q

Comments (9)
    I think that 3000k s perfect, nice clean light. I did want to reinforce that you really need to be sure that your switch is compatible with whatever LED lamp you get -- I have the Sylvania disk lights (a retrofit) and found that the Lutron "Toggler" dimmer labeled for LEDs was not compatible -- the standard "Toggler" dimmer did work. I don't remember now, but it was on either the Lutron or the Sylvania website that I found the list of compatibility.
    ...See More

Which Decorative Lighting Do You Recommend

Q

Comments (3)
    My favorite of the ones you've chosen is your third island light. I like the sparkle you get with the metal and glass juxtaposed with the stone fireplace and wood floors. However, you might want to consider not doing clear glass in the kitchen. We have a fixture above our island with clear glass, and it gets dusty so quickly. And because it's in the kitchen, tiny bits of grease float up and then make the dust stick to it, so it's difficult to clean. I also think that your dining light can be a different style than your island/sink fixtures. (I think your first options are too matchy.) That would define the dining area. Here are some options I found that are reasonably priced. Sink: Island: even though it's glass, the top is solid to hide the dust. Dining: the white color ties in with your white cabinets. This company also sells chandelier shades so you could customize it with a color or pattern.
    ...See More

Madame Anisette or Lady of Shalott, which one do you recommend?

Q

Comments (29)
    LoS (grafted on DH), doesn't black spot all that much for me. She is usually green and healthy. At my old place, which was very close to the Atlantic Ocean and the St John's River, so very humid during summer. I didnt spray there and dont spray here either. I had it espaliered on a 16 ft cattle panel fastened on T Posts. It took very well to that situation. It started out in full sun but after a few yrs, the Live Oak nearby grew out and gave it too much afternoon shade so it bloomed less,but it still bloomed well! I have Madame Anisette but it is still a baby..maybe 6ft. It hasnt bloomed that much yet. Its own root. Her foliage stays healthy. I have her next to a tall metal RV carport next to a Spirit of Freedom, hopefully they will gobble it up. Another thought...Bathsheba is healthy and blooms well. Interestingly, she always blooms right along the same time as my Quicksilvers. I have 2 Bathshebas and 4 Quicksilvers. They always all bloom together which is kinda weird but nice! Bathsheba here is similar to Teasing Georgia, Crown Princess M, and LoS in terms of growth habit and healthy foliage. Bathsheba blooms more though. LoS ..nice green leaves.
    ...See More
  • wwwonderwhiskers
    Original Author

Thanks so far! Today had a little time, and was amazed at the number of pictures I had with identifiable pieces of the desired Magnolia in them. May I post them for your review? See if any particular cultivar screams at you for ID. Maybe I was a little off in my remembrance of drooping branching habit, but I LOVE this ballgown shape! Is that due to pruning? This tree was HUGE to me, and probably 9 to 11 years old in this series.
    There is Shape in the Landscape overall, some Leaf and Branching habit, and one pic of Bloom Buds. Couple for color too. Thanks for looking!

Distant shape in the landscape - definitely the look I am going for! Probably 8 years old.

• wwwonderwhiskers
    Original Author

Thanks for all the comments, especially njoasis for your contribution. I'll target either the Victoria, Majestic Beauty, or Edith Brogue. If I had something like your picture, that would be perfect.

I'll share a little deer story. That magnolia pictured above was at a house where we rented in Raleigh. One day I was out at the Mag with pruners, looking for one more of those massive blossoms for the house. I'd slowly walked around the entire skirt of the tree - enjoying, looking, smelling, pondering.... when suddenly - about 3 feet in FRONT of me (under the tree, mind you) came a mad rustling-scurry-dash that half scared me to death, and this teeny TINY little leggy spotted fawn literally flew out from under the tree and into the woods!!! I had walked circles around it for probably 5 minutes at least, only a few feet away. Am sure it's Mama put it on a sit-stay, but it probably couldn't take it anymore that I was so close, and it dashed. A charming moment, but seriously sent my pulse racing! LOL.

• wwwonderwhiskers
    Original Author

• wwwonderwhiskers
    Original Author

• wwwonderwhiskers
    Original Author

• wwwonderwhiskers
    Original Author

• User
    11 years ago

Just keep in mind,that cold hardiness is one factor, but tolerances to ice and snow load is also really important. In my area, which recently just bumped from 6b to 7a, the following culivars are sold.

Edith Bogue
    Victoria
    Bracken's Brown
    Little Gem

In addition, I grow, Majestic Beauty, Green Giant and Teddy Bear.

I would say, that in terms of snow damage, I see the least damage on
    Edith Bogue and Victoria ( my Bracken's brown is still too small to tell ). I see the most damage on the Teddy Bears ( their more vertical leaves just accumulate snow and don't seem to shed the snow as well as even the broader leaved trees). Most of these magnolias have relatively low lying branches, but the ones that I have that droop the most to the ground are Green Giant (fast grower) and Majestic Beauty (very large flowers).

So, I guess my current favorites in my climate are Victoria (new growth emerges from red buds similar to Rubber Plant), and Edith Bogue. Another favorite is Little Gems which I have had in bloom from May to Halloween (longest flowering). I know you ruled them out. It has been five years with them and so far, no problems with cold or snow and ice, though I know others have reported a different different experiences.

• poaky1
    11 years ago

I have plain species Magnolia grandiflora or Grandifolia, not sure which name is correct. It has done well in my zone 6 yard, but has only been in my yard 1 winter so far. I don't know if the tree you loved is a cultivar or not but unless the fancy cultivars have been around a long time, this large tree you saw may be the plain evergreen southern Magno0lia.

• User
    11 years ago

Poaky, all Southern Magnolia cultivars ARE Magnolia grandiflora. If the tree is a specific culivar, it will be listed as, for example:

Magnolia grandiflora 'Edith Bogue'

There is nothing particularly fancy about them. If a grower notices that a particular tree has a unique trait (leaf size and coloration, height, cold hardiness, snow load resistance, flowering period, etc..), that tree can be propagated (asexually), and all the trees that arise from it will have similar traits and it gets a designation as a cultivar. Some of these culivars have been around for over 200 years in America and Europe. There is nothing wrong with buying an unnamed cultuvar (which may, in fact, still be cultuvar but was not included on the label), but if you are growing these trees in colder and snowier regions (outside their native range), it is better to get a cultivar known for cold hardiness. In my area, almost all of these trees sold will be identified by the cultivar and most are the standard, cold hardier ones, including...Edith Bogue, Bracken's Brown, or Victoria. (So trees are seldomly sold as just...M. grandiflora.). Hope that clarifies.

Wonder whiskers, let me knew if you would like to see a pic of any of the specific varieties I suggested for northern growers and I will snap a picture.

PS., attached is a relevant article about these beautiful trees.

Here is a link that might be useful: Magnolia grandiflora

• bengz6westmd
    11 years ago

'Victoria' southern mag grows well here -- branchy and dense. Little/no effect from cold.

A surprise is Umbrella magnolia. It isn't bothered by cold here either. The leaves are enormous. The only issue is leaf damage/tearing from strong winds -- it's best to plant in a spot protected from exposed winds.

• User
    11 years ago

'Victoria' is gorgeous, and it and Edith Bogue are the only two which showed no snow load damage even after winter 2010-2011 which was a historic snow year here. Slight differences between the two in terms of appearance. Bogue has leaves that somewhat darker green and more oval, Victoria has new growth emerging from red buds (like Ficus elastica). Don't have an opinion yet on the Bracken's Brown, but it is distinctive. Little Gems are locally available. Time will tell how successful Gems are in the long run but they had no issues with snow load.

'Umbrella Magnolia' and 'Big leaf magnolia' are both different species, very hardy but deciduous in nature.

By the way, very interesting to note, do you know which magnolias had the most damage from last October's freak snowstorm?...the deciduous ones. Some of the Saucers and Star Mags were split in HALF as they were still in full leaf!

• User
    11 years ago

Well, a few things.

First, I think many grandifloras will give you that lush, ball shape, with branches virtually to the ground (including the cold hardier ones like Victoria or Edith Bogue). I will post a few pics tomorrow of some that have been in the ground for 4-5 years. I got them small enough so that they could fit into the car but you would be amazed at how fast they grew! Mostly purchased at either HD, L's, or local garden center, and not for a lot of $. Speaking of which many stores have great deals on trees at this time of the year, however, if you do get one now, I would hold off on planting outside until Spring.

Funny you should have a pic with deer because I live with a virtual deer colony here. No, the deer WILL NOT eat the leaves but they LOVE to rut the trunks of mags (Deciduous or evergreen) because of the smooth bark. However, those you describe as ball-shaped tend not to get selected by the bucks. They select those with more easily accessible trunks! I have been temped to prune those branches that cascade down to the ground, but do not for this reason.

Now, the one negative trait that they all have is that many leaves are shed normally in the Spring--around the time new growth commences. This is normal. So peak leaf litter here is May into June, not so many in July and August, and none in the Autumn when I we get buried with deciduous leaves. None also in the Winter. No winter leaf burn occurs on the Victorias or Edith Bogues (which actually first gained national prominence as a distinct strain once it got to NJ from a tree growing in Florida and yet endured a severely cold Winter killing other S. mags). I do get some minor burn on a nameless cultivar that I got and believe to be 'Green Giant' but that one grows fastest of all so the point is moot (cultivar known for rapid growth, almost no brown on the underside, and limited tolerance to extreme cold).

P.S., The attached pic was from last year, and is either an Edith Bogue or Majestic Beauty (didn't think to label the cultivar).

Njoasis

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:410495}}

• bengz6westmd
    11 years ago

njoasis says:

However, those you describe as ball-shaped tend not to get selected by the bucks. They select those with more easily accessible trunks!

Exactly. That's why I leave branches down low in the vulnerable areas of my lot. The bucks want a visible, accessible trunk to rub.

Yeah, I know Umbrella mag isn't a southern mag, but I replied w/o reading the post, just read the title. Umbrella mag is still an usual magnolia to plant & surprisingly cold-hardy given its looks -- like a cold-winter-climate banana tree.

• User
    11 years ago

Beng, it took me six years to try to outsmart the deer! :). Oh yes,I never cut those ground limbs on the Souther Mags.

You can have a wonderful garden with deer, just know what to plant and where to plant it. Despite the buck passion for rubbing on magnolia trunks, the leaves themselves are pretty much deerproof.

Not really familiar with umbrella mag, saucers and stars are common among the deciduous ones here, and as I said, they really suffered in that freak October snow storm--unlike the grandifloras for some reason.

Are you familiar with the Big Leaf magnolia? Leaves are enormous and the tree is much hardier than grandiflora but for some reason, not so popular around here. When I first saw it, it looked lie the most tropical tree I had ever seen! It is deciduous. If you like Magnolias, another tree I would recommend is M. virginiana. Mine is deciduous but I have read that some varieties are more semi evergreen, depending on your climate. Strong points are that it is smaller than most grandifloras, and personally, I find the flowers much more aromatic though much smaller.

• User
    11 years ago

Wonder whiskers, I didn't get a chance yet to post my full pics of the trees. Want to get some pics of Victoria and Bogue, and maybe Green Giant. Will do so tomorrow. Been busy working on my 'garage/greenhouse/man cave'--where I overwinter the tropicals---and store the beer. Definitely recommemend either Bogue or Victoria if zonal cold is a concern. (BTW, they are called Victoria because they came out of Victoria, Canada on the west coast.)

Deer here are not afraid of people anymore. They just stand around looking at you.

• bengz6westmd
    11 years ago

njoasis 7 (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 25, 12 at 16:52

Deer here are not afraid of people anymore. They just stand around looking at you.

Deer aren't as tame around here out in the country 'cause people poach them on their properties (I don't complain -- they're still overpopulated). I contribute by popping them w/a BB gun. Doesn't really hurt them, but they jump when hit, scamper & become fearful.

Bigleaf mag's leaves are so enormous & fleshy they wouldn't last long in the wind here. Only ones I've seen were in the Smokies, but someone's yard north of me in PA has an impressive 40' Umbrella mag that I got enamored with, so I got one.

• calliope
    11 years ago

I have both the big leaf magnolia (macrophylla) and the umbrella, tripetala. Astoundin trees. The umbrella has been deer rubbed to a nubbing twice and a huge tree came down on it during the last big storm. But, it'll regenerate, always does. This is a pic of the big leaf. It's totally awesome, but needs planted in a location with protection from wind.

• User
    11 years ago

Okay, finally got a shot of one of two 'Victoria' Southern Mags. It was planted about 4 years ago from a tree that fit into my small car. Now about 12 plus feet all and much wider. This newbies red buds in the Spring from which new growth emerges. Has not suffered any winter burn or snow load damage. Definitely one of my favorites. Lowest branches are about one foot off the ground. I read mixed stuff on how tall it gets. That's a hedge of tall trees on the side--but you can't see the colorful dozens of butterflies fluttering about.

calliope, you do realize that you have encouraged 100's of people to look for that species of Magnolia now?! :) I have seen it planted into zone 6 but for some reason not common locally at all. . Big Leaf seems to do well in part SHADE by the way.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:410497}}

• User
    11 years ago

Should read, "hedge of butterfly bushes off to the sides".

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm