SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
avm1_gw

Pruning climbing roses

avm1
15 years ago

I have two J&P Sombreuil roses in my courtyard framing a tall window. I thought, "No problem, I'll just train them on these sturdy iron trellises on each side of the window,and everything will be fine." WRONG!!!!! These roses have grown out of control! I call them my Sleeping Beauty roses because they are so incredibly thorny and have just become this huge thicket. I don't know how to prune them, though. The first two years I didn't prune them at all because J & P said not to, but they are so wild and huge (canes over 15 ft) this year we will have to. Do I prune the new growth that have come from the main canes, or prune back to the main canes as you would a mature hybrid tea? That is another problem I have with them - although it says it's a repeat bloomer, it has not performed well for me in that regard. I have fertilized and carefully watered,etc. to no avail. I asked J & P and they said that it is somewhat typical for the first few years until the canes are set and the roots established. I dunno about that response, I'm kind of skeptical. If anyone can give me pruning advice I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert