SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ryanva_gw

My poor roses - no idea what I'm doing

RyanVA
9 years ago

Hello, all.

I recently bought a house with a large rose bush out front. I have never cared for roses before, and my horticultural experience in general is extremely limited. This poor rose bush is clearly distressed and I am at a loss for what to do. I'll upload a picture when I get home, but I'm thinking about it now, so posting.
I believe I may have multiple problems and that the plant's care has been neglected for some time. Signs include yellowing leaves with browning at the edges, some gnarled shoots, holes bored straight through the bases of flower buds, (what I perceive to be) limited growth, undersized, anemic, and short-lived blooms.
My earliest unguided fumblings on the intraweebs indicated the plant should be pruned annually, so I had my mother-in-law go after it early in the spring - March, I think it was. I applied some Vigoro granulated rose food about a month ago. I have been cutting the stems back to just above the next five-leaf node when the blooms die. Otherwise, I have done nothing for (to?) the poor thing.
It's clear to me that I need outside help. Advise, educate me, please? I'd really like to save the plant and have it be healthy and beautiful.

Thanks,
Ryan

Comments (18)