SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bud_wi

My Experience With Dwarf Rhodies........

bud_wi
18 years ago

I bought two dwarf rhododendrums last summer. I don't remember the name but they had tiny purple flowers and tiny leaves. They were only to get 2' tall/wide (probably after 10-15 years). I have experience with rhodies and never had a problem with any of them.

They were planted about 5' apart in part shade/part afternoon sun. They did "OK" for a little while and then the one that was a bit more shaded from a yew planted nearby, just seem to die out. The other one was still just doing "OK".

This spring they were just dead brown and dried up looking. I gave them some time. The stems were very britle and I figured if they haven gotten anything green on them by now, forget it. I dug them up yesterday.

The roots seemed to be soft, moist and and lively. I thought of putting them back and giving them more time but I figured even though they MAY have still had life in them, I disturbed them beyond health.

Did I do the right thing digging them out and tossing them so early in the season??

Should I try them again? They are still under warranty so I could have them replaced. Or are these dwarf rhodies just too sensitive for Z5? We had a very mild winter here with not much snow last season. Maybe they didn't 'hibernate' as they should have? Also, my azalias were a little lower this spring to get going - maybe this was just a bad season to start the dwarf rhodies??

Feedback please.......

Comments (9)

Sponsored