SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
henryinct

Strange month of June

henryinct
14 years ago

Was this not the strangest month of June at least in the northeast ever? It was much cooler than usual, it rained 26 out of 30 days and the sun shone hardly at all. And now in July we are still getting daily torrential storms and flood warnings although July 4 is supposed to be warm and sunny. There have been some strange things I've noticed this year that have to be due to this odd weather. There were no Junebugs in June and very few insects of any kind. No oriental or Japanese beetles, no thrips, rose slugs or aphids to speak of and as I previously mentioned no rose midge. Most insects spend some part of their life cycle in the ground and the ground is saturated so I assume there is cause and effect here. Perhaps all the beetle grubs drowned. In the garden the roses are well into second growth and there are some or the biggest basals you'll ever see so when the sun comes out the forrest will be something. Another first... I found nesting Cardinals in the roses. Truly a year for the record books.

Comments (17)

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    14 years ago

There's a silver lining to many dark clouds. Our June was similar except we had a little less rain. July, so far has had temps of highs in the upper 60s and lower 70s.

Yesterday, I had to wear a long sleeved shirt outside as it too cool to be out without one.
    Temps within a few hundred miles around us are in the upper 80s and 90s. I suspect though, we'll see hot temps as we get further into July and then be wishing for cooler weather.

• catsrose
    14 years ago

We've had no rain for two years. Then it rained non-stop from March til mid-June. Since then, it has been in the high 80's and dry as a bone. I've three JBs. I'd like to think my milky spore is paying off, but the grubs just drowned.
    Climate Change, here we come.

• Related Discussions

Hobbiton conifers of the Month, June

Q

Comments (3)
    Everything looks great Will especially the Maple.Just curious,is your black stone local quarry?It really shows your plants off nicely , gorgeous in the rain.Doug
    ...See More

Gardener of the Month/June Christine!

Q

Comments (40)
    So glad you got it and I am glad you liked it. I kinda wanna go back and get me one of those hanging hummingbird birdbaths- it is so pretty!! I worried about it breaking so that is why you got LOTS of bubblewrap..LOL! Have a beautiful day! Tammy
    ...See More

Miele 10% off this month or wait for possible new products by June?

Q

Comments (4)
    Thanks for the thoughts. I did ask about changing after I order and was told no. They, unlike, Bosch, seem to rarely offer a deal like this. I've been planing and following and reading for a few years (and did some of their products earlier) and don't remember a percent off deal. Some, as Sherri1058 said, with extended warranties included. It seems I have to finalize my cabinets in the next week so i may need to go as planned now. I've just been waiting for that large steam oven in Europe to make it here.
    ...See More

June 2018 Book of the Month - KT Book Club

Q

Comments (66)
    That's strange - I see you as a member since May 28. What happens when you go to the URL? I can remove you and have you join again if you want. I approved you again, maybe that will trigger it but you might have to leave and rejoin. https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/615019-kt-book-club Or do you mean Goodreads in general? I found this link about how to get another confirmation email. I added another email address to experiment and it said it needed to be verified and had an option to resend, though it wasn't in red. https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/283-how-do-i-verify-my-email-address
    ...See More
  • jim_w_ny
    14 years ago

I've begun to think seriously about rain resistant roses. but there are so few. Most of my roses really look terrible.

I'm praying for better weather for the late bloomers.

Maybe a tent for the rose bed???

• susan4952
    14 years ago

My blooms look terrible, lots of pitting and balling BUT there are a zillion of them...and the ones that look decent have that funny sour smell.TONS of spiders and spider mites. I have early blackspot but am hpoeful for fall. My bedding plants are dead ) :

• katefisher
    14 years ago

Here in Northern CA we had odd weather also. It was atypically cool and wet for late spring. In June I actually made fires in the woodstove at night which was a first as did many other people around town.

On the bug front there much fewer aphids for sure but an explosion of Rose Weevils. I heard today from another lady I know in town who has had the same problem. More this year than ever before. Bizarre.

Kate

• lucretia1
    14 years ago

We've had weird and rotten weather of the opposite type. We tied the record for number of days without rain, then had a smattering in early June. Nothing since then except above average temperatures. The ground is dry as a bone, and we're starting to have fire warnings. Our average rainfall for June at my house is about 3"; we had about 1/3". We've had rain shortfalls for months. The roses are hanging in there better than the other plants--not much in the way of blooms, but at least the plants are alive so far. No rain forecast in the foreseeable future. For now I'm lugging buckets of water to the most desperate plants every morning. I'm ready for a good frog-strangler.

• veilchen
    14 years ago

I am also hoping the grubs drowned.

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Oh no, they are still there, lurking. Just hybernating later into the year. NO desire to move about in this weather like I have been feeling...Sorry
    That is what a greens keeper at the local golf club tells me. They are just waiting to move about, and get an appetite once the ground gets warm and the soil starts to dry out. Watch out...:-(

I too, have had the worst summer ever so far. It is like living in a cave..Dark, gloomy and raw for days on end.
    Now when the sun does come out for a day, all my plants wilt and the new growth can't take the heat..Like a shock to them.

I too saw NO june bugs, but I havn't seen them like I use to years ago for the past few Junes.I havn't seen any around here for at least 4 years.

I remember June nights being warm and toasty. But seems to me the Junes and August nights are slowly getting cooler and cooler, with only July being the hottest month..If we are lucky. Last year, we only got about 5 days of weather hot enough to make you want to go to the beach, in July!
    In Augusts past, like last year, it never made it over 80 degrees with some nights into the 40's..

I have a problem with my roses though. I just noticed this am. All the leaves and buds are falling off all my roses, along with some branch tip dying back...Can this be from just plane ole rot, to much rain, and lack of sunshine?

Thanks

• michaelg
    14 years ago

Meyermike,

As best I can tell, the specific symptom of waterlogging is this: bottom leaves on each main shoot are affected first, and the disorder moves upward precisely leaf by leaf. Affected leaves are pale green and somewhat limp, with yellow veins. At least this is what a couple of my roses showed when we had of constant rain.

The best thing to do for long-term improvement is to raise the soil level around the roses so they have drainable soil to root into.

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

I the soil is very well draining, but the problem is is that the leaves have not had a chance to dry for almost a month. I noticed lots of tiny black spots on the yellowing leaves before the all completely fell off leaving be just bald cains and a few die back branches.

Do you think that the sun, ow that it will start to dry things out, might generate new growth to come back again.
    All the leaves fell off as if they thought fall was fast approaching. That is exactly the way all my rose shrubs look after a long summer, when the cooler weather starts to move in. I think they have been duped, so the growth stopped. What do you think?

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    14 years ago

I think you should start over with this story. Where are you (state would help a LOT), and what are the roses. If you are east of the Appalachians, most readily available roses aren't up to the climate normally. It just can take a summer or two for the problems to find them.

• michaelg
    14 years ago

Black spots on yellowing leaves are blackspot and maybe also Cercospora spot disease. These are fungi that spread externally from leaf to leaf during rainy weather. Apparently it is what defoliated your plants last fall. It is worse this year because of more rain, and, as M_G said, it is normally worse the second and subsequent years.

If you want the roses to survive the winter, you probably need to begin regular use of a fungicide such as Bayer Rose, Flower Disease Control applied in a tank sprayer.

If they did not bloom or bud this June, you may have lost the plants to winter and you are looking at shoots from the rootstock, a different variety.

Please take M_G's advice; add your location to your header and list some of the roses you are trying to grow.

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

God, I wish I knew the names...

Before I began seriously growing them, as a beginner, I just bought what looked good and planted it. Threw the labels and pots away. Not anymore now..

This climbing rose always looks great every spring. I have had it for at least 5 years. It hasn't lost a cain yet. It is about 8 feet tall with about 8 cains that tall.
    It flowered in which I will show you a pic, but as soon as it did, it didn't take more than a couple of days for all this rain to just wash them away. I was so disappointed.
    The one of the only days we had of sun, after all the dark gloomy days, burnt the red pedals as soon as they felt the heat...Then rain again, knocked them all off, followed by the leaves.

I live in Massachusett, 20 miles from the coast. Zone 5.
    This was the worst year ever for low clouds, fog, drizzle, and cool temps for the entire month of JUne. These particular roses usually do very well, all the way till fall. But not this year...:-(

It looks as if these guys thought fall was already here.
    Sorry about lack of detail the first time around. I thought my location was in my profile...Me bad...

I like the recomenadation of bayer treatments.

Thanks everyone

• User
    14 years ago

Endless rain though very few balled and rotting blooms which has happened with less rain in previous years. I just started getting thrips this week on Kronprincessin Viktoria. Lots of BS and cercospora on the HT's. A number of other plants are behind last year this tim the lotus which are usually big and in full bloom are still just buds.

• sunnishine
    14 years ago

lots of rain for weeks then for the last 2 no rain, but unlike catsrose I have had lots and lots of JB's. They have begun to wind down like usual now but at its peak I was killing over 100 a day every day.

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone...Now that it is not raining, just maybe I can begin to even spray!!lol
    I can't beleive how saprk everyone here is..
    Thanks a million...:-)

Mike

• lucretia1
    14 years ago

I would guess Connecticut for the OP's state--Henry_in_CT.

Seems like it's wild weather across most of the U.S.