SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
southerntrouble

Issue With Psycho Lichen on my Azaleas & 1 Holly Tree

SouthernTrouble
9 years ago

Hi there! I came upon the site as I am trying to find some information and answers to an unusual problem that has popped up this year.

We live on right around an acre of land (all of which is Georgia Red Clay), and have been here for almost 18 years. We have several areas/beds of azaleas, roses and then the natural woods around us.

This spring I noticed that this ugly Lichen had popped up on several of my azaleas, actually completely taking over one of them with nothing left but one little bud and a few leaves.

Everything I have read, been advised of through my county extension service via UGA and research has told me that lichen is usually not a destructive occurrence, more of a visual pest. Yet, in my case, it is wiping out my plants as it creeps along through them. It doesn't kill the plant straight off, it simply takes over each limb, coating it to the point nothing grows. No leaves, no flowers, nothing.

When I first noticed it, I treated it with Orthene. Seemed to have no effect. In the process, we dug up the plants in had killed, purchased new ones. Treated the soil and both new/existing plants with Bayer Advance's Natria. It was at that point that I spoke to the people at Bayer and then the county extension service who agreed it was a lichen. But again, I'm being told it should have no true negative effect.

I'm advised that Lichen generally doesn't react to fungicides, and that it generally just takes being brushed off. I'm also told its a 'pest' of opportunity, usually, becoming an issue when plants are already in poor health.

The only problem is that my situation seems to contradict everything that is "usual" for Lichen. First, all of the plants it is on are very health, produced great blooms, have nice green foliage. The first bed we saw it in is up on a hill, has great drainage. Gets about equal amounts of sun and shade, plus is the oldest set we have.

The second set/bed it hit was a set of about 10, that are almost as tall as I am (5'9").

Not long after seeing this stuff on the azaleas, I notice that a 30+ year old holly tree is all of a sudden losing branches/foliage that it has never done before. I trim back the dead stuff ,and to my surprise, there's a very familiar 'growth' on the trunk of the tree, in the same area as the branches that died.

Now, in this time period, getting information from a few different sources, I ended up treating the azaleas with both Orthene and Natria within about a two week period before I received the last information from the extension service. To my amazement, when I went out to look at the azaleas to answer a question for the extension service rep, I see that 80% of the areas that had just been covered in Lichen are now clear. Granted, the poor little limbs are just as bald and naked as can be, but no Lichen.

Yet, there are still a couple of plants with it on there.

I am confused! Thus my term Psycho Lichen!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES