SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newplanter211

Please Help - Newly Planted Oak Sapling

newplanter211
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'd like some advice, please. A friend of mine had an oak (he's guessing Pin Oak) growing in his backyard that started from an acorn. He didn't want it there, so he dug it up and gave it to me to plant in my front yard.

First of all, I do understand that this is a horrible time of year to plant a tree, especially in the Texas heat. However, I thought that it had a better chance in the ground than it did in the little bucket it was in. I plan to keep it watered very frequently.

The tree is very young, about a year old, and maybe 3' tall. I mixed my red clay soil with Miracle Grow Tree and Shrub. A significant amount of its native soil accidentally fell away from the roots as I was transplanting it from its bucket to the hole, and it looked like maybe a small root or two might have fallen off. The tap root was intact, as well as the vast majority of other roots. After planting, I left the water hose on a slow trickle for about 45 minutes or so to water it. Then, I used about 2" of mulch around the tree (but not around the trunk).

Over the last 24 hours, the leaves have started to turn brown and curl up. The limbs still seem to be flexible, so far. Is this transplant shock, or is the tree already dying? Any advice on how to tell the difference? I'm worried about potential damage that could have been done when the soil fell away from the roots during the transplant. Does anyone have any advice on how I can try to keep this tree alive? This is my first attempt at planting any sort of tree, so any and all advice is welcome. Thanks!

Comments (8)