SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Strategies for restoring variegation to M. del. albovariegata?

mark4321_gw
9 years ago

I hope the subject line wasn't too confusing. I had to abbreviate due to space limitations.

Monstera deliciosa albovariegata is one of those plants whose tendency to variegation is supposed to be genetic. That is, even if a plant has apparently reverted to all green, it can return to the variegated appearance.

A long time ago I took a cutting off a variegated Monstera deliciosa. The cutting has been mostly green, but with some hints of its variegated nature (photo at bottom, see red arrows).

I can assure you the plant is Monstera deliciosa albovariegata, in spite of its appearance and entire leaves (no slits or holes). I had it inside for a while in low light, then outside, also in very low light. I moved it into higher light and it has responded with accelerated growth. So hopefully all is fine in terms of general growing conditions. It's growing in a frost free area.

My question is whether there are strategies to try to return to a more obviously variegated plant. I was thinking about chopping it into smaller plants (I could easily see it cut into three pieces) and hope that one of the new shoots expresses more variegation. Any suggestions or comments?

I have a couple other plants showing more variegation. This is just for fun and out of curiosity.

Comments (10)

Sponsored