SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Arisaemas

susanlynne48
18 years ago

Hi, everyone. I lurk on this forum occasionally and have been reading and viewing pictures of the arisaemas and the alocasia/colocasias. My question is this. How long does it take for an arisaema to mature. Last year I purchased 2 small bulbs from Wayside (I know, I know, bad choice, but triphylum was on sale for like $2.00). This was late in the spring, around May (that's late in Oklahoma). I planted the bulbs and they sprouted one leaf each, and went dormant early to mid-summer. They did not come up this spring. However, I'm a "cup half full" person, so I'm thinking maybe they're down there somewhere still working on their root systems.

This spring I purchased A. nepenthoides from Heronswood. It came potted up (2") with one leaf on it. I promptly planted it and amended my clay soil with peat moss, cow manure, and compost. The leaf has gone dormant since then; it's been in the ground for almost 3 months.

What can I anticipate from these plants? Two leaves maybe next year? What are the odds that they will they come back next year? How mature do they have to be to flower?

I appreciate any and all answers.

BTW, I do grow Alocasia wentii, upright EE, regular EE, Black Magie EE (taro), and hitchhiker EE, which are all aroids, too.

I like the aroids, but I am still not ready to tackle the amorphophalus group yet.

Susan

Comments (3)

Sponsored