SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ispahan

Are any plants really immune to rabbit destruction? A rant...

I felt sickened the other day when I realized that the plague of rabbits I have been dealing with all summer has nibbled down my Chasmanthium latifolium (in full bloom!) and Euphorbia polychroma to pathetic nubs of bare stems. Aren't euphorbias supposed to have bitter, poisonous sap? Will these awful creatures stop at nothing? And is there a reason why they have eaten *my* Chasmanthium and not the lush clumps a few houses down the street?

They have already spent the summer torturing all of my Phlox divaricata, 5/6 clumps of Aster laevis 'Bluebird', half of my Aster cordifolius, 90% of my Ceratostigma plumbaginoides, half of my Geranium 'Rozanne', half of my solidago of all types, all of my Lathyrus vernus, etc. In the spring, they annihilated my crocuses, feasted on emerging lily stems, chewed off the flower buds and half the foliage of my Ranunculus aconitifolius 'Flore Pleno' and the unforgivable... the little creeps BIT OFF the flowers on my snowdrops! I was so excited for spring to finally come and have my snowdrops in bloom. Next morning, I walk out to door to find a rabbit stuffing its smug little face with the last flower. I yelled, foaming at the mouth, and ran toward the furry horror with my arms waving and it just looked at me. It hopped away just beyond my reach. Otherwise there would have been stew that night.

I have tried pepper flakes, pepper sprays, soap, garlic, PlantSkydd, live trapping, flame throwers, sacrificing chickens, etc. and nothing keeps them away. Oh yeah, and I found out last week my next door neighbor thinks they are cute and BUYS food for them to leave out in her garden. When I told her about the little creeps destroying my garden, she replied "Well, at least you are giving them something to eat..." Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Why oh why did Chicago have to start a successful feral cat trap-neuter-release program so many years ago? A few dozen feral cats would come in such handy right now! Would someone please send over a few thousand foxes and coyotes? Maybe I could release them in my garden the way you do with mail order lady beetles!

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville