SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smlechten

Early vs. Late?

smlechten
14 years ago

There seems to be a lot of talk about harvesting/blooming earlier with indoor starts for some warmer plants. I know that most people have said that winter sowing is easy, effective, but not early - that mostly things bloom/fruit later with winter sowing. How late is late? And what is early? Are we talking edible tomatoes and peppers by June?

Last year my direct sown tomatoes didn't sprout until late June (I thought they'd washed away). I didn't start harvesting until August. Some people seem to think that is normal for this area, but many people told me that it was late because of the atypically cold/wet spring. Spring is normally pretty wet here (Missouri, your flood dollars at work), but not so cold, so late. Feels like summer to me by May, I'm not really a hot weather person. Last year really did stay cool right through June, even I was comfortable, and the pools were cold.

I'm trying to understand why people have different experience in basically the same area - some plant tomatoes April 15 and others wait until Mother's Day. It seems like some people in the same zone (different location) winter sow tomatoes and peppers much earlier than others too. Is it specific location (amount of sun) that they are using? My garden is up on a hilltop, it gets full sun (east/south/west exposure) from dawn to dusk, and I swear it always feels 10 degrees hotter on that hill. Maybe cultivar? This year I got an "earlier" tomato hybrid (Park's Season Starter) that matures in 60 days vs. 65-70. I'm not really sure if that also means it will tolerate slightly cooler temps also, or just that it has smaller fruit that matures faster.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences. I feel like a three year old, I always want to know why and how.

Sherri

Comments (3)

Sponsored