SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Replacing my "Tuscan Sun" and I need your input

Maybe this post should wait until the dead of winter but patience is not one of my virtues. I think I am coming around to the difficult decision to next season replace all 5 of my 2 year old "Tuscan Sun" heliopsis . I am torn as they are the most incredible bloom machines from very early summer to late September but I have spent too much time the past two season dealing with major infestations of aphids and sunflower moth larvae on every plant.

There are 5 of them and they alternate with "Havana Blues" geranium (I muse about replacing these as well as they are too 'sprawly' for the kind of neat compact plant border that seems to appeal to me but for now they stay).

Not a great pic showing all 5 but I think you get the idea:

{{gwi:272102}}

I know I will miss the long bloom period of TS...of course there must be be many compact upright perennials (around 2 ft in height and less in width) with all summer blooming?)

And what is appealing about this current border is that both TS and HB are in bloom together for very many weeks.

I have no upright stonecrop sedums...the kind that is in bloom right now. I would consider such a sedum but I am just not sure how that would look i.e. a border in which for most of the season only half the plants are in bloom at any one time. What do you think?

And if I was going for a much earlier bloom time the replacement plants could be a Euphorbia of some type (again a plant I have none of). But I think I can get by w/o having a spring blooming perennial as this bed had lots of bulbs.

Maybe it would be safer to go with an annual such as my much loved very reliable and colourful wax begonia. (But they would be overwhelmed by the large HB)

Anyways I would love your interesting suggestions. I feel better just talking about it ;).

This post was edited by rouge21 on Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 17:55

Comments (20)