SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michman_gw

Green Giant Screen Planted

michman
16 years ago

I planted a 300' row of Green Giants from Botany Shop. I ordered 60 18"-24", qt. pots. They arrived in good shape. I waited for a hot spell to wane and last weekend they went into the ground. I tilled a 5' bed as deep as I could go, about 9" with a tractor tiller, then mixed in a little finished compost. My soil is grey clay, with about 6" topsoil/clay mixture. This area was in alfalha the last couple years. This bed was sprayed with roundup several times before planting, in-between tills. I planted on June 30th. I know many of you will think it is to hot to plant these now, but I figure if they are irrigated, and mulched well, they will survive. I planted them 5' apart. I used Dripworks T-Tape, with 1/2 gph emitters every 8". This is my first time using T-Tape, what an awesome, user freindly way of irrigating. I ran 320' of 5/8" garden hose to the middle of the row, and connected the filter and 10psi regulator. I used full-flow manifolds, which is important since I was close to maxing out my gph of the T-Tape run. I ran 240 gph at the end of the hose run, and the tape should pull about 225. I still want to measure an emitter to see exactly how much water flows from one of them. I am getting evergreen mulch from the Ann Arbor Materials Recovery Facility. At $10 cy, it's a great deal. I figure it will take 14 yards to do the bed up right, with 3-4". I'm still 7 yds short, but I can mulch around each plant real well till I can get some more. They are out of it right now, and almost out of wood mulch altogether. That is where I get my compost, $20 yd, another fantastic deal if you want quantity and quality stuff for your garden. I hope to post some pics soon, maybe this weekend.

Comments (28)