SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lauraeli_

Tree philodendron stem rot

lauraeli_
9 years ago

I have had my tree philodendron for about a year now. The person I got it from stated that it had died and come back. It lost all its leaves, and then resprouted. Well, the plant has been fine the whole time Ive had it. It is still in the same pot (no drainage holes), but I err on the side of caution. When in doubt, don't water. I have dug down to the bottom of the pot, and there is about 3 inches of clay at the bottom. Dont ask me why.

Anyway, today I was rearranging my plants, and I happened to notice something strange- when I squeezed the main stem at the base, it felt hollow. I knew it was rotted and dead there so I went through the paper-thin bark to peek inside, and sure enough there is rotted 'wood' on the inside. I believe it is dead all the way through and around the base of the stem. The rest of the stem is entirely solid. I have not had any problem with the plant. It doesnt wilt, and it sprouts a new leaf or two every couple weeks.

From what I figure, the base of the stem rotted from too much watering (before I got it) and that is the reason that the leaves fell off and then regrew (also before it got it). Likely it survived via its aerial roots. Chances are it has been this way the entire time Ive had it.

Should I do something about this? Is the plant in any further danger?

Here you can see the hole I made in the stem. It is rotted all the way around the base. The plant survives via its many aerial roots, also in the picture.

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting