SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cziga

Can you help me ID this OGR?

cziga
12 years ago

I need to ask for some help in ID-ing this rose.

I'll give all the info I can think of, but if there is anything else you need to know, please let me know:

It is a red rose. Once blooming. It is blooming now, at the same time as Albas, Gallicas here. It has some fragrance, but not too strong. It gets very little care in terms of pruning, and I included a photo of as much of the bush as I could get in my camera. I'm honestly not sure if it is a large bush or a climber? It doesn't just bloom at the top, but it certainly sends out long tall canes that seem very climber-like... The buds tend to come in little clusters of 3 or so. This one is fairly old and established, at least 10 years or so I would think. It is hardy, as it gets no winter protection and there isn't even too much cane damage in the Spring after our cold winters.

Here are some photos:

{{gwi:294142}}

{{gwi:294143}}

{{gwi:294144}}

{{gwi:294145}}

{{gwi:294148}}

Any ideas what this rose could be?

Comments (16)

• harborrose_pnw
    12 years ago

It looks like Dr. Huey to me. Very pretty color. Jeri Jennings has a couple of pictures posted on help me find that identify Dr. Huey's leaf stipules.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    12 years ago

To me it also looks like Dr. Huey, which is used as a rootstock and is never really grown just for itself. If it is Dr. Huey there should have been another rose there at one time which was not very vigorous so that the rootstock was able to take over and the original rose died.

Ingrid

• palustris
    12 years ago

'Dr Huey' is flowering now all across New England where one would think it is the most popular rose ever bred by the great numbers of them in yards.

Sadly all the old 'Dr Huey', 'Paul's Scarlet Climber', 'Dorothy Perkins' and 'New Dawn' roses are being replaced with 'Knockout'. I see it every day; a beautiful old stand of roses growing along a fence. All of a sudden they are replaced by the eye searing ugly black foliage of 'Knockout'. It has really turned our area from having a charming old fashioned look to a modern shopping center look.

• jacqueline9CA
    12 years ago

Nicest pictures I have ever seen of Dr. Huey! Here it comes up as rootstock all of the time, but is miserable - covered with mildew, scraggly, and otherwise unhappy. If it was as nice here as it evidently is in Toronto, I'd keep it instead of trying to eradicate it from my garden!

Jackie

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

Maybe in a climate where they don't get much powdery mildew it would be a good rose. It certainly is very pretty, as these pictures prove.

• cziga
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the help IDing it ... I'm somewhat disappointed it is a rootstock. I guess the original rose died out years ago because this one has been growing here for quite a few years. I wonder what it used to be ...?

We do get some blackspot and mildew up here ... but perhaps the rose looks good because it is quite well established. It even gets pruned after blooming, lol :) Maybe that is why it is doing so well.

Either way, I might keep it around even it is just a rootstock. It is healthy and looks pretty happy where it is, and it is quite a pretty sight when it is covered in full bloom ... thank you for helping me ID it :)

• jacqueline9CA
    12 years ago

Just so you know, most "rootstock" roses are OGRs! They are just OGRs that have very strong growing root systems, which is why they were used as rootstock. I have kept several roses in my garden that came up as rootstock - one of them, de la Grifferie, is one of my very favorite roses. It has huge, bright dark pink very very double large blooms that have an astoundingly strong old rose fragrance. I like it much better than the boring yellow hybrid tea it replaced. Another one has turned out to be a lovely Bourbon rose that I also cherish. So, don't be disappointed that it is rootstock - be happy that you have a lovely OGR that likes your climate!

Jackie

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

Before it was a rootstock it was a rose named in honor of a devoted Rosarian. It was originally intended to be other than rootstock.

It is very pretty and with your shorter growing season, a once-bloomer can work well.

• melissa_thefarm
    12 years ago

It looks like a keeper to me. Jackie and hoovb are right. 'Mme. Plantier' is another old beauty that has been used as a rootstock, in Florida.

• michaelg
    12 years ago

I found that cutting Dr. Huey to the ground right after blooming helped to reduce the disease problems. Also it grows back with long canes forming a vase shape, more graceful than if you chopped it back to 4' or whatever. The only question would be if you have enough of a growing season left for new canes to harden before winter.

• tapdogly
    12 years ago

Does anyone know what the name means? "Thornless Rose"? I Googled and came up empty-handed.

This is my first year growing roses. Now I am addicted, and cannot stop. Just order a Zephrine Drouhin. (It is probably not the best time to plant it now, but I cannot stop. :) ) I living in Livingston, NJ. Does anyone know whether this rose generally does well here?

I am also getting an Eden: I saw one in front of a shop along the main street of my town, and I CANNOT move. Is it true that ZD and Eden are related?

Many thanks in advance!

Regards,
    Mark

• cziga
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I appreciate these viewpoints, I never thought about growing a rootstock as a rose before, but I have thought this one was pretty before I knew what it was so ... that shouldn't stop me :)

Once Bloomers don't bother me, I have several already and like them ... I didn't know Mme Plantier is sometimes a rootstock as well. I like the shape of the Dr Huey bush (it does have long canes which are vase-like) and it will bloom up and down them if you tie the canes to the fence a little bit horizontally ... and the colour is a nice deep red which is rare ... I'll keep it growing there I think, it is doing well and looking good :)

Thank you!!

• kaylah
    12 years ago

For mark up there with the Zephirine Drouhin question.

Here is a link that might be useful: Name

• luxrosa
    12 years ago

I'm a fan of most rootstock roses and these rootstock roses I prefer to 'Knockout" and many modern roses;
    de la Grifferie
    'Gloire des Rosomanes' an early remontant red rose introduced in 1825
    the wild eglantine rose, native to England and seen in portraits of Elizabeth the Great.
    Manetti" a pink Hybrid Noisette, some clones of this can be extraordinarily fragrant.

Luxrosa

• User
    12 years ago

It does well in warm climates, too. Here in South Louisiana, I see big plants of it all over the place in the spring.

• organic_tosca
    12 years ago

My very first post to this forum was about a rose that I "rescued" - a shred of it had been left behind when the plant had been dug up by someone else. I potted up my shred, and it grew and gave me a couple of heartbreakingly beautiful blooms that looked just like yours - except your rose looks even more beautiful!! Mine turned out to be Dr. Huey, but the rootstock thing didn't bother me - I loved it - but the information that it would get much bigger (I had nowhere to plant it) made me give it away. Judging from your lovely photos, yours not only has GORGEOUS flowers in the most delectable dark red, but it also has beautiful clean foliage. I say, keep it and enjoy!!!

Laura