SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Prune shrub roses after bloom? Poor performers

My shrub roses (2 Sunny Knockouts and one unknown coral colored one I think is a floribunda) have finished bloom. They donâÂÂt generally do more after the first flush except a scraggly blossom here or there. This is their third year. They are about 4 feet tall. I have never pruned them so they lean forward a lot and are rather rangy. Healthy looking leaves, but the shape of the bushes is tall and sloppy. They are planted with a house wall behind them, which means they get sun til around 1-2 pm and are shaded thereafter. Probably not enough sun, but IâÂÂm not going to move them out now.

IâÂÂve been really disappointed in these so have really done almost nothing to them since planting. I have rose food but have not applied too much, being afraid to kill off the exotic orienpet lilies, daylilies, heuchera and other perennials that share the bed, which are doing great. I have one 15 year old hybrid tea Chicago Peace in the same bed that is going gangbusters: thick, full, and lush: so IâÂÂm doing something right. I bough Epsom salts but have not tried that yet.

Are you supposed to cut off stems above the first branch with 5 leaves?

But IâÂÂm also thinking of hacking them down hard in the hopes of getting more fullness next year. I meant to do this early this spring but the chores of the season took over and it never got done. Is it okay to do that at this time of year? Thanks for any advice: I grow many perennials, but IâÂÂm obviously no rose grower.

Comments (8)