SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catlover003

Question about Monstera-spilt-leaf Philo

catlover003
16 years ago

Hi experts!

I'm stuck indoors as right now, the storm is heading to Hamilton (near Toronto) and we will be hammered by the storm and will receive about 30-50 cm of snow (almost 2 feet) so I decided to ask few questions about my recently purchase.

Yesterday I went to Home Depot in Ancaster and found the plant i always wanted - split-leaf philo. It looks similar to Monstera but i forgot to ask the worker for Latin name to make sure it's correct one.

Since it came in hanging basket of 6" wide and 4" deep pot but VERY healthy plant, which it already showed sign of splits in the leaves. the plant itself spans about 4 feet wide and i would say about half feet tall. I took a peek under the pot and few roots have creep ed out from the drainage holes.

I was wondering should I go ahead and re-pot it into a bigger pot (and what size and what medium), it will have to be still a hanging basket, I have two cats LOL.... It will be hang in the center of the ceiling in my bathroom and I will installed heavy duty hanging hooks just in case.

Also, i am quite confused about fertilizing it and what ratio??? :) Do they respond well to Epsom salt and coffee?

Any extra information would be great! I intend to prune it once in a while to stop it from getting too big.

Many thanks

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner