SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imaginators

Deciding of on good filter for my new tank

imaginators
17 years ago

It has been over 9 years since I had a nice large tropical aquarium. Right now I have a 3 year old leaking 12 gallon Nano tank with two baby koi/goldfish in it. For Christmas I received a brand new 75 gallon glass fish tank with out the equipment from glasscages.com. I also received a $100.00 gift certificate to one of our local fish stores. My question to all of you is... What is the best filtration system? The 3 stage bio filter or the gravel bio filter? My husband thinks we should stay with the old method of the bottom gravel bio filter because of our past experience was so good. I am very excited about planning my aquarium. I already have an 18 WATT Jebo Sterilizer with pump that I never used for the beginning of this hobby. My husband states we need 2 pumps for this tank. I am not in a hurry to get the aquarium started but plan to enjoy the progression. We will be using an old but good condition solid, strong maple desk to hold the tank. The aquarium will be in our family room away from windows and direct sunlight. After I get the equipment, heater, carbon stuff, siphon tubes for cleaning, etc., etc. I will use some recycle tank water, cycle treatment and stress coat in the aquarium. I do have a Aqua Pharmetical Tap Water Purifer but to fill the tank would take a day. Ha! Also I will need to purchase back up teatment for balancing the condition of the water and treatment for fish sickness. I plan to have the aquarium running for a week or two before I introduce any new fish. It seems to me that a new tank takes a few months before it is stable. Unfortunately I gave away all my aquarium books on this subject. I probably will get the aquarium lights towards the last stage of this progression. I am so excited in getting back into this hobby. I wish it was saltwater but again at my stage of life, saltwater aquariums are even more expensive but they are so beautiful. That is why I want to have a variety of Dicus. They are so beautiful and I know how to take care of them from past experiences.

Theresa

Comments (20)

• bambi_too
    17 years ago

The Hagen Fluval cannister filters are great, You can use ceramic bio rings, carbon, and the foam filter in the 3 chambers. I have one that is 6 years old and works like new. its easy to clean, and replace the carbon. The foam filter can be cleaned, and used for years. Marineland also makes some nice ones. If you decide to go with the UG filter consider power heads, and use the aeration features to run it. Two filterplates are better than 1. I actually saw a demonstration where if the air was not properly adjusted, the water was actually being pulled down through one lift tube and under the filter plate to be forced out the other, so the flow wasn't going through the gravel. By using power heads and more than one filterplate that problem is eliminted. As far as hang on the back power filters go I still prefer the Hagen Aqua Clears, with the foam blocks (which can be rinsed out) and bags of carbon over the ones that use disposable cartdriges, with a tablespoon full or two of carbon (such a small amount doesn't do much good), which clog too easily, and overpriced in my opinion. SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL INDEPENDANTLY OWNED PET SHOP WHEN EVER POSSIBLE!

• birdwidow
    17 years ago

I don't mean to upset bambi, but there are far better choices for filters online than at any local pet shop.

Try: kensfish.com and/or Foster & Smith. If you prefer really personalized service; Ken Menard at kensfish is a great choice. In fact; choosing the equipment you want then doing a websearch for the best price makes as much sense for aquarists as it does anyone else.

Live fish are another story and for them, yes indeed: stick with a local shop that specializes in fish.

As for the type of filter: For the most bang for the buck, I have yet to find any power filter that will beat an Emporer, but do agree with bambi on the canister.

I bought extra sets of baskets for my Emporers and use just the tops to hold media pads that I cut from rolls and hold to the frames with rubber bands. It makes new pads quick and cheap. I also like being able to use whatever media is most appropriate for that tank, in the large second set of baskets.

For a 75 gal. I would recommend 2 power filters, which allows rotating through filter cleanings without losing the bio.

After long years of experience and frustration, I have come to the conclusion that UG filters are just disasters waiting to happen, even with powerheards, but that's just my opinion.

But for Discus to be really happy, you need an all live Amazon tank, with a natural base, in very soft, warm, peaty water and to get it, you need a very high quality heater and a superfine mesh bag in your filter, filled with garden peat. Another method is to simply soak the peat in a bucket of water and strain it before use.

In truth; either a high quality power or canister will do the job, as long as you never forget that no filter will overcome the need for frequent water changes.

Good luck, and have fun. So many new and beautiful Discus colors! Have you made your choice yet?

• Related Discussions

New to this, new tank, Ich, fish dying...

Q

Comments (5)
    Ich is, from my experience, very easy to control once the tank is established. You were correct in raising temperature, but after the ich has cleared keep it at a steady level. Adding salt is also a wonderful idea. To clear the tank I would do a 20-25% water change, using distilled water bought at a grocery store or Wal Mart. Try adding a touch of Stress Zyme to the water as well as a touch of a good ich cure. I usually keep my filters running. You may also want to add a little bit of water conditioner and definately salt. This should cure the tank. Once the filter has algea developing on it your tank should be on its way. Be sure to not overclean your filter as the bacteria growing on the overflow helps purify the water. But, make sure it is creating a great deal of circulation. To keep the tank healthy add only a small amount of chemical and salt for every water change. I also always add a few drops of ich cure with every water change. I have noticed this keeps ich out of my tanks. Be sure to use a gravel vaccuum with each change. Also make sure your lights are not overpowering the tank and that the tank is not by a window. This will help keep it cleaner. And make sure the fish you are purchasing are healthy and are in healthy tanks.
    ...See More

Filter O.K. for a 2.5 gal. tank with Betta??

Q

Comments (3)
    You can adjust the filter as high as the betta "likes". If the flow is pushing him a little, but he doesn't "mind" it no harm. If the flow is pushing him a bit too much and he is hanging to a corner or a side of the tank because of it, then turn it down. If the lowest setting is too much, then diffuse it with plants or other decor. I had a betta that liked to swim into the flow of the filter return from time to time, it was kind of a game for him. It would damn near dash him into the side of the tank, but he'd come back for more. His fins didn't get damaged and he is still alive after at least 2 yrs. now. I gave him away before I moved, but as far as I know he is live and doing fine. The reasoning is you don't want to compromise flow for no reason. Flow is important for keeping the tank physically clean as well as biologically "clean". Beneficial bacteria in the filter will be more lively and abundant with the flow. A great addition for a betta tank is live plants and lots of them with some space for free swimming. Good "beginner" live plants that are not too demanding are Water Sprite, Frill/Parrots Feather and Java Ferns. Live plants help 3 fold, appearance, ammonia break down and oxygenators.
    ...See More

Septic tank collapsed - need advise on new Septic Tank

Q

Comments (15)
    Also, what are the requirements in the owner's area for replacing leach fields? If he was in Vermont it would have to be an engineered system. By messing with the leach field there is a possibility that a mound system could be required (about $10,000). I know, Vermont is nuts on this stuff. My theory on the leach field is that if it was a "designed" system and it's working okay, leave it alone. If you have heard that new state or county requirements are coming in the next few years, then it might be prudent to consider replacing it now to avoid some expensive fix a few years down the road. And, as someone said, if you are in a region where there is the possibility of having to hook on to a municipal sytem in a few years, then you might want to consider the cheapest fix you can get for now. The last one I had installed/designed called for an outgoing filter. The builder said he would never do another system without it. Pull it once a year or so and hose it off. On the pumping...when I owned mobile home parks I had about 20,000 gallons worth of tanks to keep pumped. In this area it's extremely expensive to have them pumped. I found that it was senseless to pump all of the liquids out of the tanks. Liquid was always on the bottom and would go out to the leach field anyway. We would just pump the first 2 or 3 feet making sure that all the scum and solids and semi-solids were cleared out. Think about it..if you pump the whole tank, within 3 or 4 days the tank is filled with liquids again.
    ...See More

Good Morning ! But my dishwasher decided not to work :(

Q

Comments (2)
    when i had to have an appliance repaired, I sent $5 to open an account at http://applianceguru.com/ The samurai noticed. It got his attention. That was 5 years ago and my account is still active there. Then, i got terrific handholding while i went through the whole process with technicians coming over to look inside and replace boards. Technicians may jump to conclusions and start replacing things that don't need it. Before calling anyone in, "samurai" helped me understand what to check all my myself. That also was immensely helpful. hth
    ...See More
  • imaginators
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you Bambi and Birdwindow for your quick replies. Since my tank will not be ready for tropical fish for a several months, I have not decided on the many colors of Discus. Also since Discus are expensive, I will only get one or two small ones at a time. Also Discus are not easily found in our town except our Fishey Business gets them on ocassion. I probably will start off the tank with removing my 2 baby, 1 1/2 long, koi fish from the 12 gallon tank to the 75 gallon tank then again move the 2 koi to the pond in the Spring/Summer. By then I should have bought the heater, thermomter, lights and other eccessories for the Discus to be comfortable in the tank. In our town we have only a few commerical pet stores. Our fish store (Fishey Business) that is privately owned by a family tends to be expensive but reliable and knowledgable. We have bought a lot there. They specialize in saltwater, freshwater aquariums and pond needs along with the many fish they have. I do agree, for expensive items I like to buy on the internet to get quanitity and quality for my money. I have bought from Dr. Foster & Smith by phone and catalogue on their sales only. I found my fish tank for a lot less on the internet that happens to manufacture tanks. They were around a 1 1/2 hours drive from my home, a gift from my husband and son to me. Since I do have a $100.00 gift certificate to the fish store, I plan to use it for my aquarium. As for the UV Sterilizer, we have very hard tap water and algae is a problem. I have 2 outdoor ponds and one of the ponds has a two 40 WATTs Sterilizer along with bio filter, particulate filter and the works. My husband thinks we should plan on using two strong pumps to support a Particulate Filter, a Biological Filter and UV sterilizer for the size of the aquarium. My husband only concern is that many bio filter materials are not true organic even though many people swear by them. Such as polyester, rubber and other manufactured materials. Synthentic materials outgas many types of chemicals that are manufactured with. Even though these synthentic material are tested safe but are not natural for biological filter to balance the water conditions.
    For the bottom gravel of the tank, I am thinking to use the natural browns or solid black. Again we are only in the planning stage and asking questions before we purchase within a budget and begin the progression of my hobby.

• bambi_too
    17 years ago

Emperor = Marineland, I've just had better experiances with the Hagen products. I do have a couple of old Marineland cannister filters that are probably 15 years old, and still work fine, but they are not as easy to service. There is nothing wrong with purchasing stuff online, but if there is a problem it is easier to take it to the local pet shop for return or replacement. They will even be able to instruct you on how to use, service and maintain the product, and that you can't get on line. Sadly the family run pet shop is becoming extinct in some areas. I generally recomend Hagen AquaClears because I have some that are 20 years old and still work, The foam blocks are not only a mechanical filter, but a bio filter. I've used probably all of the Emperors, and they are ok but I really don't care for the cartridges. I have also used the old frames with batting, to save money. UV sterilizers are generally not worth the money, the water has to be exposed over the bulb for a certain period of time to be effective. NO ONE has ever been able to tell me exactly how long that is, or how to adjust the flow rate. If the water moves too fast it does nothing, and if its too slow your not running enough through to make a difference. I have used everything from compact one tank units to units that used 12-48 inch tubes. The bulbs are only effective for so many hours before they don't work and the newer ones just shut down when the begin to loose output. If your going to use a UV sterilizer for algae control I would recommend using some bristle nose plecos or otocinclus instead, or some of the newer resins that remove the nutrients algae uses. As far as water chemistry goes for discus, many breeders today breed and rear fry in normal hard alkaline tap water. I had a pair of wild brown discus years ago that spawned and reared their fry in our rock hard 8.4ph water here in the Cleveland area, we're on limestone, and I don't remember the hardness here, but you could almost pound in nails with it. I do use a RO unit to soften water for some of my Killifish, and have noticed the algae doesn't grow as well in the softer water, that item would also be good for the discus if you wanted to soften the water for them.

• imaginators
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good day to you Bambi,
    I will keep in mind of the Hagen products when we go shopping tomorrow. I do have an AquaMarine Pharmetical Tap Water Purifier but it will take a very, very, long time to fill up my large tank from the tiny width of the tube that drains into the aquarium. I have been using this wonderful product for my 12 gallon tank when I was experiencing brown algae. As soon as I used my purifer, I had no more brown algae.
    I know what you mean about how much flow of water should pass through the UV lights. Too much flow will totally not work. There are some actual numbers of how much flow for the size of your sterilizer and pond. I am lazy and leave that part for my husband. Shame on me. Ha! Our pond sterilizer does work well. It will actually cause all the string and powdered algae from the bottom to become steril and float on top of the surface of the water to be skimmed out or net scooped out.
    As for Plecos, I really like them. They are absolutely a very neat looking fish along with cleaning the waste and algae in the aquarium.
    WOW!! You had Discus fries. Oh I would have loved to have seen that. Are Discus harder to raise from birth? I always got them when they were 1 to 2 inches round. They really get very large. I use to buy once a week live worms for my Discus. I would store the worms in a compartment in my refrigerator. I fed them worms every other day. My Discus refused to eat anything but live food. I have heard Discus will eat dry food but I did not have any luck around 9 years ago.
    Theresa

• bambi_too
    17 years ago

I was really lucky with that pair of fish, They took very good care of their fry and I began feeding newly hatched brine shrimp as soon as they were free swimming. I only managed to raise about 8 to 10 from each spawn, the tank they were in was in our foyer, it was about 40 gallons and one of those really high tanks. I would remove the fry as soon as I was sure they were feeding on the newly hatched brine shrimp and saw "pink bellies". I took 10 gallons of water from the parents tank and moved them to a tank by them selves. The parents always ate a few, and some just disappeared. I have had the pleasure of knowing both Jack Whatley, and William Illig. Bill is deceased I think, and Jack is still raising fish. I haven't talked to him in ages, but he is one of the pioneers of raising discus artificially. I couldn't do it. I couldn't give them the amount of time required. There was another Friend (deceased) here locally that was doing it and he and his wife had no life outside raising them. They did it for about 5 years and got rid of everything, they said the money was good, but there are easier ways to make a living. I Think they were changing water in the trays and feeding the fry every 4 hours, while they were using the powdered egg yolk. I always enjoyed looking at them, but never got serious about breeding them.

• james_ny
    17 years ago

I've always liked the Eheim cannister's better than the Fuval, they just seem better built. Remember cannisters are more likely to leak than hangon filters [loose hose, etc]. I always recommend two [or 3] filters, if a filter dies your fish don't. One thing i've found is even with old water and bacteria the tank still may cycle. Go slow with adding expensive fish and check the water quality.

• skygee
    17 years ago

Hey Theresa!
    Congrats on the new tank!

I'm like James - I prefer the Eheim cannisters. With my big tank (72 gallons) I have two filters. One is the Eheim 2026, the other is an Aquaclear hang on filter. Between the two, my tank is very clear. I only actually clean the Eheim about twice a year.

Good luck with the tank!

• imaginators
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you so much Skygee. I am so excited about my returned hobby. When I do get the tank up and running, I plan to have my 2 baby part goldfish and koi (fries from my pond) in there first. I will not be buying any Discus until I have the heater, therometer and tools to have Discus environment.
    Bambi and James,
    My husband and I decided that my solid maple desk will not be suitable for 75 gallon tank because the table has only one side of drawers that would support part of the tank but the other side of the desk is only support by 2 legs. So now we are looking for a stand for the aquarium before I buy the filter. The fish store had an oak and black style for $179.00. I was hoping to find a discounted lower buffet cabinet but no luck. I also checked coffe tables but my husband tells me too low. I really like to get a stand with front doors to hide equipment in it. I would like to keep the price around $100.00. Since I did not have any luck in town, I will be searching the website for the kind of table stand you can put together. My husband mentioned of making one but the problem with that is finding a tuit. He is very good with wood but not much time.
    At the privately own fish store, the owner insisted that the Marineland bio filter that has particulate filter with pump is the way to go. The carbon pads are $10.00 each or buy a 4 month supply for $18.00. I mentioned the Hagen filter and the owner said it was a little different but not better. Just a matter of choice. This Marineland filter hooks on the back of the tank. My husband is still struggling with this newer techonolgy then the under ground gravel bio filter. Their Marineland biological filter cost $79.00 which is fine. I just want to make sure before I buy any filter. What makes the canister better then this type of over hang filter? Is the canister more money also?
    Thank you.
    Theresa

• skygee
    17 years ago

One thing about the eheim - the initial cost is high (the economy models are fairly affordable - but I kinda like having a priming button that makes the whole thing easier to deal with) - but I have never had to add further cost for medium or filters.

I HATED the marineland cannister. I had the worst time getting it primed and started. I got this as a second filter for my goldfish tank. It drove me crazy. It definitely needs to be cleaned regularly (unlike all my eheims!) - and one time I spent nearly 3 hours between cleaning the filter (doesn't take long) to getting the damn thing working again. I also got totally soaked. I then went out and bought the VERY affordable Aquaclear hang-on filter.

I DO like the marineland hang-on filters with the biowheels, though. But they're also rather a pain to clean (the design is such that water easily slops around either spilling on you or the floor). The Aquaclears are like little boxes - and are easy to unhook and clean.

The higher end eheims are a cinch to detach and clean as well. And with a priming button, very easy to restart.

The canister filters are VERY powerful. I like the biological medium inside. They're very much like outside pond filters (as opposed to internal pond filters). The biological medium resides inside the filter and good bacteria grows on it. With eheims, the medium is a porous clay-type of medium. What I also like about my eheims is that I don't have to clean them constantly. I do use a prefilter (attached to the intake tube) that keeps plant debris from being sucked into the cannister. That way I merely have to rinse out the prefilter during the regular water changes.

I can't say anything about the underground filters. My brother loves this kind of filtering, but I never set my tanks up with them, so have no experience with them.

For my big tank I got an iron stand. Much cheaper!!!

• imaginators
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Skygee,
    WOW!!! Thank you so much for your detailed experiences on filters. I am giving my husband you information to ponder on and check out. Please excuse my ignorance but is eheims a brand name for the filter? I have not heard of that word before. I can't thank you enough for your opinions. As I said this is in the planning. My husband is going to build our stand with doors with black Formica outside appearance. He has already made an isometric drawing of the stand to support the aquarium and the weight on the floor. Total cost will be $50 to $60. I was surprised because he is always so busy. I did not want to pressure him into this.
    Thank you again,
    Theresa

• skygee
    17 years ago

Yes - Eheim is a brand name. I have three! (one for each of the large tanks in the house)

I picked one up on sale at Big Al's Fish (website listed below). Another I got on sale at a local fish store. The first - for the cichlid tank, I got a full price. It was when this newer model had just been put out.

I did start with the economy line. The filter is great!! But like I said - priming it is a pain. They do have a device, but it can really be a hassle. I guess I decided I'd rather pay more for ease than go crazy everytime I needed to clean or change water (you know how if you're doing water changes you kinda forget and then let the water level go below the intake tube? And then you gotta get the pump going again!!) So I replaced my economy line models with the Pro II series with the priming button.

The Aquaclear filters are also VERY easy to start. Easy to clean, easy to maintain. And again, like I said - extremely affordable. Especially if you can find it on sale (Drs. Foster Smith have sales on them periodically!)

I remember the last time you were doing your research before buying. So it's good that you're in the planning stage and it gives you time to do your research.

I had picked up the marineland w/ biowheel for an indoor pond set up that I would put up every winter when I'd bring in the pond fish. I've since long ago stopped bringing in the pond fish once I really enlarged and deepened the outdoor pond, but the marineland filter worked really well. But that's where I learned what a pain it was to clean. I was constantly slopping water around when I'd remove it to clean it out. I liked the biowheel feature. That winter indoor pond set up had two filters - the marineland and an internal pond filter. You know how dirty koi and goldies can make the water! And it was only a 60 gallon set up.

It sounds like you're saving money on the stand at least - so maybe you can splurge a bit on the filter? Whatever you decide, definitely hunt around and see what the going prices are. Like I said, I picked up two on sale. Another online site that I've used (aside from Big Al's and Foster/Smith) is That Fish Place. Sometimes they have good sales, too. Oh - and also Carealot Pets have good prices if they carry what you want! (the variety of stuff they carry is limited, but the prices on what they do have are really very good!)

www.carealotpets.com

www.thatpetplace.com

www.drsfostersmith.com

If you are going to use live plants and decide on Eheim, I do suggest in getting the Pre-filter as well. It really helps in keeping plant debris from going into the cannister and then needing to clean it more often.

Here is a link that might be useful: Big Al's Fish

• bambi_too
    17 years ago

Eheim, makes Great filters, the problem is they are not available everywhere locally, ok you can purchase them online, but try and get a part in an emergency. The newer Hagen Fluval cannister filters have a priming pump and quick connect/disconnect fittings for cleaning. I needed an impeller, and was able to find one locally with just a few phone calls. I do agree with the 2 filters on larger tanks. The Newer Marineland filters are self priming. My old Marineland cannister filters are hard to clean, and occasionaly hard to prime, but they work very well.

• james_ny
    17 years ago

What makes the canister filter better biological filters is their large volumn. Hang on would get too heavy to carry the same volumn of filtration material as a canister. The added valumn also allows it go longer before it starts clogging. As with any filter when you change the filter medium much of the good bacteria is lost. Having two filters lessens the effect. It also eliminates any stale areas in the tank with extra intakes and outlets. Make sure any cabinet has a full frame, it makes it much stronger. Also stay away from laminates, they swell and breakdown when wet, use real wood. Welcome back.

• bambi_too
    17 years ago

The H.O.T Magnums are Hang On Tank Cannister filters. They have a couple of options, you can use a Micron Cartirdge, or a media cartridge, and a filter sleeve to go around them, they are more of a mechanical filter than a biological filter. That is why I like the others, they use media that are not only mechanical filters, but Biological filters. In the case of the Fluvals, there is a Foam filter. I rinse these carefully in a water from the aquarium, and I'm careful not to overclean them, the same goes with Hagens Aquaclear power filters. I noticed no one mentioned the Tetra Second Nature power filters. These have been my least favorite brand. I've had a few of them, but they don't last, and the cartriges don't last. I have improvised with filter material, carbon, and the frames, but the filters themselves seldom lasted more than 5 years. I really like products that are dependable and last with normal care. I have had the oppertunity to watch the power filter evolve from the first magnet driven Dynaflos to the latest little darlings on the market, little has changed. I still have 4 or 5 old Dynaflos, and parts, yes they still work at 40 years old, now thats quality. I also still have my first 7.5 gallon metal framed aquarium, Star air pump (it still works too, you canstill find diaphrams that fit), and light (rewired with a new socket). I'm also glad I stocked up on Silent Giant Repair kits, but they are coming to an end, you know they just don't build stuff like they used to!

• imaginators
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am back again. My husband is close to finish building the aquarium stand structure to support our 75 gallon tank. The stand is ready to have the real oak wood paneling be place over the structure. It will also have 2 doors to easily store the equipment. I have been going over the information all of you have kindly offered. My husband and I decided to go with the old and new methods of filters. The new method will be the over hang bio wheel Marineland 400 filter. I am a bit confused about the differences between the Marineland Emperor and Marineland Pengium. Our local fish store sells the Marineland 400 bio wheel over hang filters with or without the canister. We also will use the underground gravel filter with power pump not a bubbler pump. I know many of you will disagree on the UG filter method. The canisters seem excellent but very expensive for me at the moment. They remind me of the same bio method we use for my koi pond. We will use our 18 Watt Sterilizer along with the filters too. We have decided that my husband will have to make a canopy cover for the aquarium since we have a few cats that like to jump on things. I was not planning on that but we feel it would give an added protection to the top of the aquarium. By the time my husband finishs the cover this may make the whole item too tall for our pets to jump on hopefully. Also My husband just remembered he needs to make sure the back of the stand if completely backed so the cats do not sneak in the back of the stand for their hiding place. So I guess the next thing is to purchase the 2 filters.
    Theresa

• james_ny
    17 years ago

It's a good idea to use a plywood cover across the back as this strenghtens the structure. Cut holes where needed. I use a ug as a third filter [Eheim canister and Hagen hang on] on mt 150 gal. I prefer air power as it flows much slower than powerheads. This provided for a longer bacteria contact and less clogging of the ug. Don't forget to vacuum the gravel.

• imaginators
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi James,
    My husband is using the real oak wood panel to cover the whole back and the whole surface of the stand. My husband did not like the looks of the black formica that he first decided on and took that off of the structure. The basic structure is light pine wood from Lowes. As an mechanical design engineer he has basically reinforced and added probably more then is needed for the stand. He tends to usually go over board on his projects. Ha! He even did an isometric drawing of the basic structure before he purchased the material and started building. Actually he made one design and then was not satisfied and did another to make sure the stand would support the 75 gallon tank, and the weight of the structure would not effect the flooring. When we went to a store to look at aquarium stands, a guy came up to me and said that my husband should build it himself for less cost. He said it should only take 2 hours. Well not the way my husband is building this stand. I really didn't want to have my husband build it because I know how busy he is. But my husband told me he really enjoys working with wood, like therapy.
    Oh i know the canister method sounds really great as a true biological filter. Some day I probably will add that on too. For now I will have two filters. Of course the more filters the better. My husband really believes in order to have an effective UG filter you need to have a power pump and not a bubbler pump that some use.
    On the subject of vacuuming the gravel, I am seriously thinking of getting the Python siphon instead of dragging or rolling in the tash barrel so I can suction hose drain the dirty water into it and using the faucet hose to bring in the water and of course treat the water so the fish don't die of shock of the stuff in the water. Ha!
    After I test the water and my tank is up and running for at least a week or more, from my 12 gallon tank, I will transport 2 of my Koi that are 1 1/2 inches long fries. I plan to put the baby Koi fish into my pond the end of Spring or Summer. My tank will have cylced at least a month or more if all goes well. I would like to add 1 or 2 dicus and a pleco but only if I am ready for them. I still need to prepare and purchase items for those type of tropical fish. I know you don't mix cold water fish with tropical fish. Ha! Thank you and if you can think of anything else for me to consider, I do appreciate it. I receive my bare glass tank on Christmas day and even though I do not have it up and running, I am having so much fun planning and looking forward to the beginning of my hobby.
    Theresa

• james_ny
    17 years ago

The Python works great and saves a lot of labor. It wastes a lot of water when cleaning the tank. Also keep a close eye when refilling, it's easy to overfill. The reason most people don't like ug filters is that they are a good mechanical filter as well as bioligical. You want the mechanical part [fish poop, dead leaves, ect] to be picked up by the hang on filter then thrown out when you replace the filter pad. The ug filters are so good at collecting the waste that they clog over time. Vacuuming is a must. Good luck and post pics when it's done.

• trix00_gmail_com
    17 years ago

I use a Jebo canister filter and it has been working very well for me. I converted my fresh water tank to a saltwater. The canister still works great. The price of the jebo filter is much lower compare to others. I used to get my supplies from a local pet shop then I found www.shopjebo.com.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aquarium Canister filter

Sponsored