SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rocksandroses

Plants for new freshwater aquarium

9 years ago

I want to set up an aquarium in my new home. I think it would be a fun alternative to gardening in the winter months. I have the tank, but need to get the filters, lights, gravel, heater etc.

I want live plants in the aquarium. I think it makes sense to start with the water and plants before adding any fish. I am not in a hurry. I want to start out right and make gradual changes. Do you have any recommendations?

At some point, I would like to have angelfish. I am making sure that the fish and the plants are compatible with angelfish. The wild varieties are from South American rivers, so that would be the target climate. Brief reading on Angel fish suggest Java fern and Java moss plants.

I read that angelfish " prefer a well-planted tank of at least 30 gallons with soft, slightly acidic water. Rocks and driftwood can be added to the aquarium, but leave plenty of space for swimming" on liveaquaria. I am researching online, but would buy fish locally. I haven't seen aquarium plants locally.

I found a chart on compatible and incompatible freshwater fish that may be helpful to people.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/fwcompatibility_chart.cfm

Comments (8)

Sponsored