SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daylilyfan

might get tank - web sites???

daylilyfan
18 years ago

I know, another newbie...

I've been interested for some time in setting up a small-ish tank for myself and my cat to enjoy. The cat is 3-legged and had a really bad start in life before we rescued him, and we enjoy spoiling him. My other cat that he used to play with was old, and had to be put to sleep 3 weeks ago. So - Lucky needs something new to occupy his time while I am at work. Lucky loves to watch moving things, but he cannot chase them very well - so I think an aquarium would be a lot of fun for him.

I know an aquarium would facinate us both. I sure enjoyed the two tanks we had as a kid. I think one was a 15 and one a 30. I also had goldfish in "bowls". But, with a cat, I want something he will not be able to push over.

I think I would be happy with some cool looking bottom fish - I used to have a 4-5 inch black shark thing with a red tail. And then, maybe 3 or 4 larger fish. I always liked goldfish, but I understand they are "dirty" and I might be better with tropicals??? When I was a kid, we had a school of neon tetras that I liked, but I think for my cat, the fish would need to be larger, and move faster than, say, an big angel fish. Are there fish that would tend to come up to the glass more than others??? I saw (forgive my spelling) ciliades? Several posts here mentioned them. Many shapes and colors. Pretty, good size... but some tanks in the store said aggressive. We used to have "kissing gourmi" and they were neat, but didn't swim very fast. We also had mollies etc. but I don't think I want anything that will be having young (especially live) to deal with. I used to have a Betta -- I doubt they would go in a mixed tank though.

I saw an "upright" 20 on a stand for around $125 at PetSupplies Plus. I can afford that. I am sure there would be at least another $125 in gravel, and "stuff". Is it better to have a tall tank, or a wide tank? I imagine it depends on what fish you have.

The pet store had "starter" tanks - I didn't write it down, but I think there was a "complete" 15 for about $60 (tabletop) and also 10 or 15 gallon corner tanks meant for on kitchen counters and in offices. They would really be the perfect size for me, but I suspect they are really to small to provide a healthy environment for fish. I would think the upright 20 gal. might be to small too. I imagine fish would like as big a space as you can give them.

I'd like as low-maintenance as I can get, but do understand it can be a lot of work.

So far, I have really liked the plants. I saw some with brown/purple leaves that I really liked a lot. I am interested to know if you can really set up a tank with live plants and have it work. Since I am a gardener, that part of it really attacts me. When I was a kid, if you got a live plant for your aquarium, it meant you would have an infestation of snails soon. :-(

For plants, would I want the tank in front of a window?

Ever since seeing Finding Nemo, I wonder if I will feel guilty if I get fish. Do any of you think that way? Geez, I was even looking at the fish in the "feeder" tank, thinking, I should get fish from one of those tanks - it would be like a "rescue"... but they did not look to healthy.

Thanks a bunch..... I promise to answer another newbies questions in a forum I am more familar with as payment - as I know it is a pain to keep answering newbie questions....

But I have not seen anyone else ask about fish for cat entertainment.

Can you all recommend some websites and or books I can go to for a good education????

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting