SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pippi21

What would you do if these were your jugs?

pippi21
13 years ago

I started WS on 12/30 and planted BES, Liatris, Marigolds, purple coneflower, and shasta daisy seeds, all taken from my own plants or my neighbors. To date, I have only seen 1 sprout in each of the jugs that have the shasta daisy seeds in them.Nothing in any of the other milk jugs. I would have thought these different seeds would have germinated by now. I am thinking they may have rotted from all the rain we had earlier plus the snows. There are plenty of drainage and air holes in each jug. Here's my theory.. I did not cover these seeds..could that be some of the problem? The seeds are just laying on top staring back at me! I have been thinking of opening those jugs up and taking a plastic fork and lightly rake them into the soil to make sure they have contact with soil or waiting another week as it is supposed to be in 60's and low 70's for rest of weekend. I even thought about cutting some more drainage holes along the bottom side of the jugs or just starting all over. I do have more of these seeds in lunch bags. The Coneflower seeds were from 2009, but the others, last summer's flowers.

I've even thought about dumping the soil/ and seed in the flowerbeds and working it in lightly with a plastic fork and see what happened. What have I got to lose? Hope this all makes sense. Have you figured out that I'm not a patient gardener?

Comments (15)

Sponsored