SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shellva

Japanese Beetle resistant roses?

shellva
16 years ago

Hello everyone,

I am noticing that some roses seem more attractive to JB than others.

My more resistant roses seem to be:

Crepescule-I see some JP in the blooms but they don't appear to be eating the plant at all

Veilechenblau (Has some leaf damage on it but seems like the JB came and taste tested it then moved on)

Betty Boop-Haven't seen one JB on this plant not even on its flowers. Right now Betty Boop is not looking her best, a little defoliated but not from JB

Mrs. Dubley Cross-see some beetles once in awhile but they don't seem to relish this plant

Madame Plantier, Duchesse De Montebello, Belle Isis have some JB but nothing too bad

Butterfly (Mutablis)- JB seem to come and go on this plant. Some damage but again it's tolerable.

Double Delight- They appear to LOVE the flowers but not the foliage.

Roses the JB seem to LOVE!!!

Marchesa Boccella-The JB absolutely ADORE this rose. Flowers...no flowers, leaves all chewed up, it doesn't matter. The JB are all over this one to the point I'm thinking of shovel pruning.

Clotilde Soupert-another one they love maybe just a tad bit less than Marchesa but they love this one too. I'm thinking of the chopping block for this as well. This rose doesn't wow me enough to do battle with the beetles.

Baltimore Belle- Another JB magnet it would appear. They have nearly defoliated this one and it's a huge bush. You can stand next to this plant and actually hear the beetles clicking. I would assume this sound is their munching. It's like a horror movie! I can't shovel prune this rose. I love her too much so I'm going to have to come up with some kind of chemical plan or a "look the other way" policy and hope it survives despite the bugs appetite for it.

I have many other roses but most are babies. My experience has been the beetles don't seem to find the really young roses right off the bat so I won't know their JB attraction status for another growing season or two.

What has your experience been? Do you have roses that appear to bring in the JB in droves? What about roses they don't seem to notice or do little damage?

I'd love to see your lists!

Michelle

Comments (4)