SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherryazure

Albino cory cat problem

sherryazure
17 years ago

I have them housed in a 20 long cycled aquarium. Driftwood with java ferns. 3 filters (one box, charcoal - to help with reduction of peat effect) outside and fluvial (all this due to not letting driftwood soak for many months.

I had bought all from same tank at local pet store, some were 'runty' and decided to buy them all, if not me???

At any rate, after a while added 3 blind cave fish (tetras I think is what they actually are) and later one blue neon gourami after I realised the three I had in 20 long with driftwood and anubias in spite of seeming to 'get along' earlier were not now. 2 male guppy left overs from fry batch.

All going well, except during feeding noticed those blind cave fish are like piranah's. If I drop a pellet in for cories one will speed ahead and try to swallow it whole, and not let go... ever! So, now have to smash food to ensure cories get their meal.

Agressive though they don't intend to be.... Otherwise just swim along minding own business.

I then noticed two perhaps three cories (out of 8) have what looks like this.

Side fins (pectoral?) which in some were really runty prior, seemed reduced to just the 'bone' part... and the tails had what looked like a perfect half circle chunk taken out of it... some just one part of tail, other top and bottom. ?????

I looked for fuzz, bloody streaks, all the usual signs of bacterial infection... not ragged edges, clean cut.... never have seen this prior.

I have taken two (may be a third has it as well I see from further observation of main tank, they scoot around so fast hard to tell) out in quarantine tank with filter (ammonia chips and floss) live plant and silk plant for security.

I added mardel one and two, and a small bit of melifix.

I have done research for days on what this might be to no avail.

Not sure if salt is an option since catfish. If so what minor dose might be appropriate?

Does this seem like nipping from someone in tank. Gourami, which when I had three in 20 long with original 3 albino cories (two died from the start, not good stock from store, many sick fish, one doing great in 20 regular with red dwarf gourami and other cories and asian glass cats, happy tank) They were moved due to agressiveness from the neon blue gouramis.

I try to catch any such activity, during day, and with little flash light at night, but don't see any direct attacks.

I do see blind cave fish bumping into one and all, they just move along, but can imagine a slight jar to both gourami and cats.

Any ideas please, as to what this is? Is it a cory cat fish version of bacterial fin rot? Or what? I just don't have a clue and any one with such prior experience would be most welcome. Thanks Sherry

Comments (8)

Sponsored